From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why should copyright assignment be a requirement?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:15:57
1 begin quote
2 On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 01:16:37 -0400
3 Paul <set@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > In short, Im hearing that its protective leverage
7 > for Gentoo Technologies, Inc., an entity whose status I am not
8 > currently sure of...
9
10 See this thread, here is the quote for you people who have killfiled
11 drobbins@g.o:
14 I've been trying to get people to keep their names in the copyright line
15 for over a year, but no one has really started doing it. To my
16 knowledge, it is better to have multiple official copyright holders for
17 GPL code than just a single copyright holder. I would like all our
18 ebuilds to have a copyright like this:
19
20 # Copyright 2003 Gentoo Technologies, Joe User, and others (see cvs
21 # changelog.) Distributed under the GPL version 2.
22
23 I don't see why this would be a problem for anyone, and makes a lot more
24 sense than what we are doing now.
25
26 What we are doing now began way back when we figured out that slapping a
27 "Copyright 2000 Gentoo Technologies, Inc." allowed us to comply with the
28 GPL and get back to coding. That's all there is to our current "policy,"
29 folks. I am very much hoping that people will start using shared
30 copyrights soon. I think it's very bad to continue using the single
31 "Copyright Gentoo" one, and hope that some developers will start doing
32 this. This is one trend that I can't start, since all the work I do is
33 under the Gentoo Technologies, Inc. name. While I know that I'm not
34 going to rip Gentoo off, the primary benefit to me is that it quells
35 those who enjoy being paranoid about my intentions.
36
37 The rules should be:
38
39 ebuilds should be copyright Gentoo Technologies, Inc. *and* the original
40 author/submitter, with a note for all additional cvs committers. What
41 this does is prevent Gentoo or the original committer or later
42 contributors from changing the license away from the GPL 2 unless all
43 copyright holders agree. This basically makes it practically impossible
44 for code to be hijacked from our tree, or from our users (by me
45 presumably, after going on some kind of evil kick.) This seems
46 near-ideal. It would be helpful if a GPL and copyright expert could
47 review and comment.
48
50
51 //Spider
56 begin .signature
57 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
59 end