From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposal: ban mirror://gentoo/ from ebuilds
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 23:11:34
1 On 2011.08.20 23:20, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Roy Bamford
3 > <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
4 > > As far as I am aware, under the current organisation there is no
5 > legal
6 > > connection between the Gentoo Foundation Inc., and the Gentoo
7 > > distribution.
8 >
9 [snip]
10 >
11 > Regardless of who can get sued, we should comply with the GPL
12 > regardless. To that end I agree that we should refrain from shipping
13 > historical binaries unless we also tarball portage and the distfiles
14 > from the same period of time. I definitely agree with his suggestion
15 > that we should always make both available online simultaneously to
16 > avoid the 3-year rule.
17 >
18 [snip]
19 >
20 > Rich
24 Rich,
25
26 There are two separate issue here and they have separate timescales for
27 being addressed.
28
29 We need to comply with the GPL now and always, so we should do as
30 Duncan suggests. Take down old binaries now and post sources with new
31 binaries. e.g. the liveDVDs.
32
33 Sorting out our internal structure is a separate issue to address in
34 slower time but it needs to be done before something goes wrong because
35 there just won't be time then.
38 Regards,
39
40 Roy Bamford