From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposal: ban mirror://gentoo/ from ebuilds
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 22:20:57
1 On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 > As far as I am aware, under the current organisation there is no legal
3 > connection between the Gentoo Foundation Inc., and the Gentoo
4 > distribution.
5
6 True, but that doesn't mean that the Foundation might not be found
7 liable for things done using Foundation property, like servers, domain
8 names, and trademarks - especially if the Foundation has prior
9 knowledge of these actions. I'm not sure the car example was
10 accurate, since in this case the distribution is being facilitated
11 using Foundation property and clearly at this point the Foundation has
12 knowledge that it is occurring.
13
14 Regardless of who can get sued, we should comply with the GPL
15 regardless. To that end I agree that we should refrain from shipping
16 historical binaries unless we also tarball portage and the distfiles
17 from the same period of time. I definitely agree with his suggestion
18 that we should always make both available online simultaneously to
19 avoid the 3-year rule.
20
21 I'm sure that if the FSF were concerned they'd ask us nicely before
22 suing anybody - especially since we are an FOSS effort ourselves that
23 tries to comply with the GPL/etc. So, the risk is low, but that isn't
24 a reason not to comply.
25
26 Does anybody have a strong objection to removing historical binary
27 distributions of Gentoo on any Gentoo-controlled/linked servers, or
28 general disagreement with Duncan's proposal? I don't really want to
29 get sidetracked into a debate about the boundaries between
30 Council/Trustees/Foundation/Distro unless there is an actual
31 disagreement on the matter at hand.
32
33 Rich