From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 09:05:52
1 On Sunday 04 September 2005 23:39, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Hi Grant,
3 >
4 > On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 15:53 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
5 > > I'm still thinking about the concept of a "maint" option. This
6 > > question I can answer, however. It's not unheard of for a package
7 > > with a lot of dependencies to be marked stable when one of the
8 > > dependencies has not yet been so marked. In that sort of
9 > > tree-breaking case, the arch teams actually do know better, since
10 > > they maintain ``arch`` systems (or chroots) for testing.
11 >
12 > Yes, but if package maintainers aren't allowed to mark packages as
13 > stable on anything but the "maintainer arch" (unless they are also a
14 > member of an arch team), this problem shouldn't happen.
15 >
16 > At the moment, the only way for a package maintainer to mark a package
17 > stable is to mark it stable on a "real" arch. Creating the
18 > "maintainer" arch solves this very problem.
19
20 I agree with this. It should also be a simple, backwards compatible
21 solution. Just don't call it maintainer, but maint or something like
22 that ;-)
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze