From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 21:42:20
1 Hi Grant,
2
3 On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 15:53 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
4 > I'm still thinking about the concept of a "maint" option. This
5 > question I can answer, however. It's not unheard of for a package with
6 > a lot of dependencies to be marked stable when one of the dependencies
7 > has not yet been so marked. In that sort of tree-breaking case, the
8 > arch teams actually do know better, since they maintain ``arch`` systems
9 > (or chroots) for testing.
10
11 Yes, but if package maintainers aren't allowed to mark packages as
12 stable on anything but the "maintainer arch" (unless they are also a
13 member of an arch team), this problem shouldn't happen.
14
15 At the moment, the only way for a package maintainer to mark a package
16 stable is to mark it stable on a "real" arch. Creating the "maintainer"
17 arch solves this very problem.
18
19 Best regards,
20 Stu
21 --
22 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
23 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
24 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
25
26 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
27 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C