From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 20:55:50
1 Stuart Herbert wrote: [Sun Sep 04 2005, 03:26:37PM CDT]
2 > I've no personal problem with arch teams sometimes needing to do their
3 > own thing, provided it's confined to a specific class of package.
4 > Outside of the core packages required to boot & maintain a platform,
5 > when is there ever a need for arch maintainers to decide that they know
6 > better than package maintainers?
7
8 I'm still thinking about the concept of a "maint" option. This
9 question I can answer, however. It's not unheard of for a package with
10 a lot of dependencies to be marked stable when one of the dependencies
11 has not yet been so marked. In that sort of tree-breaking case, the
12 arch teams actually do know better, since they maintain ``arch`` systems
13 (or chroots) for testing.
14
15 > If this isn't confined - if arch maintainers are allowed to override
16 > package maintainers wherever they want to - then arch teams need to take
17 > on the support burden. Fair's fair - if it's the arch team creating the
18 > support, it's only fair that they support users in these cases. It's
19 > completely unfair - and unrealistic - to expect a package maintainer to
20 > support a package he/she thinks isn't fit to be stable on an arch that
21 > he/she probably doesn't use anyway. In such a conflict of egos, the
22 > real losers remain our users.
23
24 I tend to think that's fair. At least in my view, the goal is not to
25 minimize the importance of package maintainers, but simply to separate
26 package maintainance from tree maintainance.
27
28 -g2boojum-
29 --
30 Grant Goodyear
31 Gentoo Developer
32 g2boojum@g.o
33 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
34 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76