From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: GLEP 42 (Was: Getting Important Updates To Users)
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 10:04:27
1 Jason Stubbs posted <200511051408.09014.jstubbs@g.o>, excerpted
2 below, on Sat, 05 Nov 2005 14:08:08 +0900:
3
4 > On Saturday 05 November 2005 03:53, Alec Joseph Warner wrote:
5 >> As far as including news in the tree goes, news is repository bound
6 >> information. Each repository may in fact have relevant news, and in
7 >> preparation for multiple repositories this is how the news should be
8 >> handled. It goes with the rest of the repo-specific information. That
9 >> is why it should be in the tree.
10 >
11 > I seem to be repeating myself... What's an example of repository-specific
12 > non-package-specific news? Why does `emerge --changelog` not suffice for
13 > package-specific news?
14
15 I'd say it's a matter of degree, or we'd not be having the discussion.
16
17 Ideally, there's a changelog entry for /every/ commit. The specified
18 purpose of "news" is to convey out-of-the-ordinary changes, where the
19 Gentoo user (aka Gentoo system sysadmin) needs to be aware of something
20 unusual, and likely take extraordinary steps to manage the upgrade.
21 Certainly, "stable on X arch" a bunch of times as a bunch of changelog
22 entries do not qualify as "out-of-the-ordinary", yet that's the sort of
23 documentation of changes one expects to fine in a changelog, tho they
24 would only be "noise" in the proposed "news" system, and shouldn't
25 generate news messages at all.
26
27 Perhaps this is something that needs further clarification in the GLEP?
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
33 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list