From: Sami Samhuri <sami@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] System Recovery - New Core Functionality request...
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:29:27
1 * It was Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 10:52:31AM -0400 when Charles Marcus said:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 [...]
5 > Something that I have always wished for, whether on a Windows system or
6 > Linux distro, is the native ability to *easily* (think 'brain-dead
7 > simple') make an emergency bootable Recovery CD/DVD.
8 >
9 [...]
10 > Create an ebuild - call it 'SysRecover' or whatever - that simply allows
11 > one to create an emergency, bootable CD/DVD of their system. It should
12 > be flexible enough to allow selection of any or all partitions.
13 >
14 [...]
15 > Yhink of it... someone spend hours, days, or even weeks getting their
16 > system(s) just the way they want it(them). This would enable them to
17 > make a bootable snapshot any time they wanted to a CD/DVD, ultimately
18 > doing so once they have it just the way they want it. Then they could
19 > simply make updates whenever they make major changes, as well as make a
20 > recovery CD before they do anything major to a production system.
21
22 I'm not familiar with catalyst, but maybe that tool already does part of
23 your idea. It is what the Gentoo devs use to create LiveCDs. Maybe it
24 could be extended to have an option that builds a CD from the current
25 running system. I have no idea if that idea is feasible or not.
28 Sami Samhuri