From: Stuart Longland <stuartl@××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Cutting down on non-cascaded profiles
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 23:55:43
1 Jan Kundrát wrote:
2 > Stephen P. Becker wrote:
3 >
4 > > Removing old profiles will do nothing other than forcing them to set a
5 > > new profile. Changing the profile won't stop people from doing security
6 > > only updates.
7 >
8 > Okay, as long as "changing the profile" won't affect people *much* (I
9 > mean if it doesn't break their boxes), it is perfectly correct.
10 >
11 > I asked just to make sure that broken /etc/make.profile won't completely
12 > screw up Portage or so :-).
13
14 Actually... things are more likely to break if you leave the system
15 as-is. The toolchain and libs will be getting quite old, and while the
16 updated packages should be backward compatable, they may not be.
17
18 Anyway, wouldn't security updates include the core system, rather than
19 just things like Apache?
23 | Stuart Longland -oOo- http://stuartl.longlandclan.hopto.org |
24 | Atomic Linux Project -oOo- http://atomicl.berlios.de |
26 | I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |