From: Andrew Ammerlaan <andrewammerlaan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Should we switch IRC client defaults off Freenode?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 10:06:25
1 On 16/06/2021 11:45, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2021-06-16 at 12:43 +0300, Joonas Niilola wrote:
3 >> On 16.6.2021 12.13, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >>> Hi, everyone.
5 >>>
6 >>> We've moved our official support channels from Freenode to Libera.chat.
7 >>> All that's happened afterwards pretty much proves that this was
8 >>> the right decision. Maybe even to the point of saying that staying
9 >>> on Freenode would be dangerous to our users (e.g. because of the late
10 >>> NickServ impersonations, ops with bad reputation etc.).
11 >>>
12 >>> However, there are still IRC clients in Gentoo that default to Freenode.
13 >>> I think the next questions we need to answer are:
14 >>
15 >> Examples? Is the list huge?
16 >> https://packages.gentoo.org/categories/net-irc
19 > I've just seen hexchat being updated, didn't investigate further.
22 Thunderbird has IRC functionality. When adding a new IRC account the
23 server address field still defaults to chat.freenode.net, it should be a
24 simple matter of sed s/chat.freenode.net/irc.libera.chat/g, or
25 s/chat.freenode.net/irc.gentoo.org/g, and I imagine it would be just as
26 simple for most IRC clients.
27
28 IMO it makes most sense to just switch the default to irc.gentoo.org if
29 we are going to change defaults anyway.
30
31 I think that eventually most IRC clients will probably move away from
32 freenode anyway. However, given the mess over at freenode and that it is
33 a relatively simple change, I think it makes sense to start this effort
34 proactively at a distro level asap.