From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:32:18
1 On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 09:28 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Simon Stelling wrote:
6 > | My point is, either you have to generalize each project's goal to a real
7 > | triviality or you have to define a goal which doesn't match some
8 > | project's goals. Conclusion: Let it be.
9 >
10 > Not necessarily. I just wrote on my blog [1] about this, and got a
11 > constructive comment [2], which I'll talk a little about.
12 >
13 > Here's one example of a global goal: Reduce the learning curve of Gentoo
14 > and increase its usability.
15
16 The problem here is that the two don't necessarily correlate. They
17 *can* but many times they don't.
18
19 A common thing I have heard about the comparison between Windows and
20 Linux is this:
21
22 In Windows, it is easy to learn how to do the simple things, and
23 extremely hard to do the complex things, if possible, at all.
24
25 In Linux, it is hard to learn how to do the simple things, yet it gets
26 easier to use the system as one uses it more and more.
27
28 As a prime example, I strongly believe that making Gentoo "as easy as
29 possible" can only come about by reducing its usability. If there is a
30 large number of choices, no matter how well documented, it isn't easy
31 for a beginner. The only way I can see to make installing Gentoo "as
32 easy as possible" is by removing choice and functionality to the point
33 of it being a few clicks of the mouse and everything being done for you.
34 The problem is that anything that is stated generally can be taken to an
35 extreme. If you say "as easy as possible" then I think unattended
36 identical installations for all Gentoo machines. After all, what's
37 easier than that?
38
39 I would *never* agree to this, nor force any member of any project that
40 I am a part of to participate in such an endeavour, so you now already
41 have at least one person opposed to it. Would action be taken against
42 me? Who knows. The point is that we do not get paid. You cannot force
43 volunteers to do things they do not want to do.
44
45 There are workable solutions to this problem, but none that I see as
46 very effective for us.
47
48 For one, we could leave things alone. This works fairly well for a
49 project even as large as ours. Sure, there are people out there that
50 think that this doesn't work, but the truth is that they might be
51 looking to have Gentoo become something that it is not.
52
53 Second, we could "fire" most of the developers and move to a paid
54 developer pool. This would ensure that developers would do what they're
55 told.
56
57 Third, we could come up with some form of enforcement (CEO, council,
58 whatever) capable of "firing" developers that stray too far from the
59 proposed Gentoo goals. This will quickly bring back the "cabal" screams
60 and will probably result in the very quick diminishing of the Gentoo
61 developer pool.
62
63 I think part of the problem is that many people are forgetting exactly
64 what Gentoo really is. Gentoo is not a distribution of Linux. Gentoo
65 is not anything more than a loosely bound group of developers all doing
66 their own thing in a collaborative and collective manner. You cannot
67 use corporate thinking to manage such a beast. We don't have mission
68 statements. We don't have road maps. We don't have quarterly earnings
69 and market projections. We simply exist. The only way we can give
70 Gentoo a direction is by restricting what we, as developers, are allowed
71 to do. The only real restrictions we have right now are "be civil" and
72 "don't break stuff". Anything beyond that is inhibiting one of our
73 greatest strengths, our individuality and individual ideas.
74
75 Do you want to be a part of a project that doesn't allow you to
76 implement some cool new feature because it might make Gentoo slightly
77 harder to use for some people and that's against the mission statement
78 so not allowed?
81 Chris Gianelloni
82 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
83 x86 Architecture Team