From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI-3 draft: slot operator support
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 10:59:56
1 On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Peter Alfredsen <loki_val@g.o> wrote:
2 > All package depending on dev-dotnet/gtk-sharp. Although these won't be
3 > parallel-installable slots, it will really easy the transition between
4 > versions and allow us to ease the currently quite strict
5 > interdependencies between the various packages that make up the
6 > gtk-sharp, gnome-sharp and gnome-desktop-sharp tarballs, where all
7 > versions of all packages are bound to a single gtk-sharp major version
8 > (2.12 at the moment). Currently we handle bumps in api by bumping every
9 > package in this trifecta from hell. That way, users only have to
10 > rebuild their apps, portage will take care of rebuilding the -sharp
11 > libs.
14 I think the current way is the most easily-supportable way for us.
15 Complex interdependencies b/w packages and slots => O(n^k) times bugs,
16 where k = no. of slots for a library.
17
18 If we don't get all those bugs, it means people are running the latest
19 package and latest slot. So slot operators would be m00t in that case.
23 ~Nirbheek Chauhan