From: Peter Alfredsen <loki_val@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI-3 draft: slot operator support
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 10:40:30
1 On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 12:03:03 +0200
2 Rémi Cardona <remi@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Could anyone actually give a good reason for slot operators? What
5 > packages would have a _clear_ benefit from using them? I'm asking for
6 > an actual list of packages, not just some package that may exist in a
7 > parallel universe.
8
9 All package depending on dev-dotnet/gtk-sharp. Although these won't be
10 parallel-installable slots, it will really easy the transition between
11 versions and allow us to ease the currently quite strict
12 interdependencies between the various packages that make up the
13 gtk-sharp, gnome-sharp and gnome-desktop-sharp tarballs, where all
14 versions of all packages are bound to a single gtk-sharp major version
15 (2.12 at the moment). Currently we handle bumps in api by bumping every
16 package in this trifecta from hell. That way, users only have to
17 rebuild their apps, portage will take care of rebuilding the -sharp
18 libs.