From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: deprecate /usr/share/doc/$PF
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 04:23:54
1 >>>>> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011, Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
2
3 >> Can we please avoid the bloat of another directory level here?
4 >> ${CATEGORY}/${PN} will be even longer than ${PF} in most cases.
5
6 > The problem is that ($PN, $CATEGORY) pairs are not unique. Think of
7 > x11-terms/terminal:0 and gnustep-apps/terminal:0, or
8 > app-misc/beagle:0 and sci-libs/beagle:0, or app-misc/nut:0 and
9 > sys-power/nut:0. I could not think of any better solution than using
10 > $CATEGORY/$PN-$SLOT.
11
12 Thinking about it a little more, I believe that ${CATEGORY} shouldn't
13 appear anywhere in the path of installed files, for the following
14 reasons:
15
16 1. Users may not know the category of a package, therefore it's not
17 obvious for them where to find its documentation. (Think of it from
18 the perspective of a user on a multiuser system, who didn't install
19 the packages on that system.) OTOH, the name of the package (PN) is
20 obvious in most cases, since it will coincide with the upstream
21 name.
22
23 2. It doesn't play well with bash completion. When searching for
24 documentation of a specific package (and only knowing PN), one can
25 currently type the pathname up to PN and press tab which will
26 complete PVR. With CATEGORY _before_ PN this would no longer work.
27
28 3. CATEGORY and SLOT are Gentoo specific, related to the way how we
29 organise our packages. Neither of them should appear in the
30 directory structure of installed packages. The problems related to
31 package and slot moves (where CATEGORY or SLOT change) also show
32 that something is wrong with the approach. (BTW, in the current
33 system, PR is also Gentoo specific. It doesn't suffer from problems
34 with package moves though.)
35
36 > Do you have a better proposal that does not rely on $PVR?
37
38 Leave things as they are. It's not perfect, but IMHO your approach
39 would create at least as many problems as it would solve.
40 Alternatively, a minimal solution would be to drop only ${PR}, i.e.
41 install documentation under /usr/share/doc/${P}.
42
43 Ulrich