From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel 2.4.0.11-r3
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:31:18
1 drobbins@g.o wrote:
2
3 > Hi All,
4 >
5 > I've committed linux-2.4.0.11-r3 and linux-sources-2.4.0.11-r3 to portage
6 > (sys-kernel category). This is the 2.4.0-ac11 kernel with various patches
7 > added, including lm_sensors, the latest (2 days old) LVM fixes and tools, and
8 > the latest reiserfs support.
9 >
10 > There are a couple notable things about this kernel. First, it's really fast
11 > (thanks to the sheer quantity of improvements in ac11). Secondly, this is the
12 > most recent version of the kernel we have. There are some 2.4.1 kernels on
13 > Portage, but these are Linus kernels and are older than 2.4.0.11-r3. So be
14 > careful :)
15 >
16 > An excellent way to start using the new kernel is to merge the linux-sources
17 > ebuild -- then you can simply "cd /usr/src/linux" and configure, compile and
18 > install the new kernel and modules and give it a try.
21 Another notable change is that this kernel includes Neil Browns and Chris Masons
22 patches for
23 nfs/reiserfs. They are of beta quality but we now can use gentoo-linux as an
24 nfs-server. :-)
25
26 Achim
29 > Best Regards,