From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pre-GLEP review: Maintainership structure
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2015 07:42:11
1 On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 20:45:37 -0500
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 11/03/2015 05:15 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Please review, comment and answer the questions in TODOs ;-).
7 > >
8 > > [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:Maintainership_structure
11 > Much more sane than what we have now, thank you.
12 >
13 > My only question is about the name of the "subproject" element. If you
14 > haven't read the GLEP, can you tell me whether Foo is a subproject of
15 > Bar or vice-versa?
16 >
17 > <project>
18 > <name>Foo</name>
19 > <email>foo@g.o</email>
20 > <subproject ref="bar@g.o"/>
21 > </project>
22 >
23 > <project>
24 > <name>Bar</name>
25 > <email>bar@g.o</email>
26 > </project>
27
28 I don't see a problem with that. We have a <project/> object that has
29 <subproject/> and <member/> elements -- sub-objects. Otherwise, it'd be
30 <subproject-of/> or <parent-project/>.
31
32 This could be made a little more clear if we wrapped all subprojects
33 around <subprojects/> element. But then, we should also wrap members
34 around <members/>, and maintainers around <maintainers/> ;-) for
35 consistency. And the last one would actually break backwards
36 compatibility, though it'd be consistent with how we do <use/>...
37
38 > Putting the name aside, I expected the mapping to go in the other
39 > direction by analogy with relational databases.
40
41 Relational databases have technical limitation of having one value for
42 key which does not apply here. That's why most ORMs actually focus on
43 the opposite direction than the database itself.
44
45 > This is also misleading with the current name:
46 >
47 > <subproject inherit-members="1"/>
48 >
49 > That looks like the subproject inherits the members of the parent
50 > project, right? But it's the other way around:
51 >
52 > * optional inherit-members="" attribute whose non-empty value
53 > indicates that subproject members are to be considered members of
54 > the parent project as well.
55 >
56 > If everyone likes and wants to keep the name _sub_project, I think
57 > _inherit_ is the wrong word to use, since children inherit from parents.
58
59 What do you suggest instead?
62 Best regards,
63 Michał Górny