From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Project proposal -- maintainer-wanted
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 14:50:37
1 Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 >
3 > Liking and using the package yourself shouldn't be a prerequisite for a
4 > package getting to be in-tree by the maintainer-wanted team.
5
6 How about actually maintaining the package?
7
8 For example, user contributes ebuild for foo-1.0. I don't use it or
9 like it, but I go ahead and throw it into portage. User logs bug that
10 foo-1.0 wipes out random files from time to time. Nobody looks at said
11 bug since nobody owns foo, and bug starts getting 3000 "me-too!"
12 comments. Some charitable developer takes a look and the problem isn't
13 obvious and offers to just mask the package. Now 3000 people running
14 foo are upset for it being de-supported (when it wasn't supported in the
15 first place).
16
17 Wouldn't it make more sense for people who like the foo-1.0 ebuild to
18 just stick it in their own ebuild or an overlay and be on their own
19 (since they're really on their own either way)? Or to move it to
20 sunrise or some other place where it might actually get some level of
21 support?
22
23 If Gentoo is going to distribute an ebuild Gentoo should
24 Do-It-Right(TM). Why put our name on something we don't really want to
25 care for?