From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Project proposal -- maintainer-wanted
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 14:24:06
1 On N, 2009-05-14 at 14:02 +0300, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On Thursday 14 May 2009 03:32:12 Mart Raudsepp wrote:
3 > > Hello,
4 > >
5 > > I have had this project in my mind for a while, so it's about time to
6 > >[..]
7 > I think there is no need for this project. Developers can always browse
8 > bugzilla and pick every 'maintainer-wanted' ebuild they like. At least this
9 > is what I do. I am not sure how this project will make things better. In
10 > order to push something on portage, you need to test it and use it and like
11 > it and taking care of it. Apparently you wont push a package that you dont
12 > give a s*** :)
13 > So this project will do what each developer is doing individually. Am I the
14 > only one who is searching bugzilla for maintainer-wanted packages? o_0
17 There are various differences with this being a project instead of
18 individual developers picking up a few. I think most are benefits, but
19 some can be perhaps viewed the opposite way as well, hence the thread :)
20
21 It is a project and hence a team, so there can be multiple developers in
22 the team, all sharing the workload and making sure quality and
23 up-to-dateness is kept. A separate e-mail alias to get bug reports to
24 that any of the team members can attend to, etc. Basically the typical
25 benefits of a team vs individuals
26
27 The packages are still kept up for grabs for individual packages.
28 Instead of you looking for packages of interest to maintain from
29 bugzilla maintainer-wanted ones, you have an additional place to look at
30 - one that would be more easily browseable and categorized. If you find
31 a package of interest you would like to maintain out of that list, you
32 simply take over maintenance from maintainer-wanted team, as finding a
33 dedicated is exactly the eventual goal and that gets accomplished then.
34 Meanwhile users have the package available earlier.
35
36 Liking and using the package yourself shouldn't be a prerequisite for a
37 package getting to be in-tree by the maintainer-wanted team. It is hoped
38 that for them the driving factor is making popular packages available to
39 a larger user base that want to use it themselves, so that popular
40 applications that do not have any existing developers at the time
41 finding deep interest in it will not mean indefinite languishing in
42 bugzilla and not being easily available for users (while it probably is
43 for Fedora or Debian or whatever).
44
45 I'm quite sure we have developers motivated by that around. For example
46 when I discussed this with Samuli a few months ago, I believe he
47 basically said to already do work like this, except making desktop-misc
48 the dumping ground, loosing the benefits that a separate project and
49 alias would give related to both implied (from the maintaining herd name
50 and knowledge of its purpose) and active seeking (through package lists,
51 etc) for dedicated maintainers.
55 Mart Raudsepp
56 Gentoo Developer
57 Mail: leio@g.o