From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Code Review Systems Was: [gentoo-dev] Git Migration: launch plan & schedule
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 16:43:15
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Its difficult to make a large change like "all commits require review",
3 > particularly for long-time contributors who are expecting to move quickly.
4
5 I think it's a character flaw (maybe hubris due to lack of experience
6 and/or ignorance?) to lack the humility to say that I would prefer my
7 commits to be reviewed by peers.
8
9 It is obviously easier to stick my head in the sand, but then I
10 should probably keep my crap in an overlay. (I do, and am happy!)
11
12 If I were committing to gentoo I would want help from my peers to
13 ensure that what I commit is not just done well but also done right.
16 > I'd be curious how many subprojects use review
17
18 I suspect that it's rare. Most developers are in my experience unable
19 to work with review.
22 > learning purposes.
23
24 Another significant benefit of review, besides the obvious quality benefit.
27 > I'd also be curious what adoption of a code review system would be
28 > like if it was not required (but was available, and perhaps
29 > required for specific subprojects that adopt it.)
30
31 I think this is a lovely idea! I'd really like that setup!
34 //Peter