From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:40:53
1 On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 17:26 -0400, Michael Cummings wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Stuart Herbert wrote:
6 > > We've had a global vision for where Gentoo is going from before I
7 > > joined - Gentoo is here to create a source-based distribution where
8 > > each package is as close to what $UPSTREAM intended it to be as
9 > > possible. We're not trying to take $UPSTREAM packages and innovate
10 > > with them - we're here to do a first class job of packaging them up.
11 >
12 > Um, that's a mission statement, not a vision. A vision is a series of
13 > goals for a project, like "my vision is that we will produce knoppix
14 > like catalyst+template releases for myth, firewalls-on-a-disk, etc by
15 > the 2007.0 release." a mission statement is "we'll make the best from
16 > source distro ever." i.e, mission statements never change because they
17 > are just an overarching definition of a project, not the vision or goal
18 > it might be working towards at the moment.
19 >
20 > somebody shoot me, my job in middle management is finally getting to me.
21
22 Exactly...
23
24 Above and beyond that is the next step...once you have a vision...ok so
25 what do we need to do to further the vision, do we need more devs doing
26 X, do we need hardware Y, do we need an Ice Cream machine...
27
28 Leadership is way more then just shouting a vision out to the world and
29 expecting people to hop to it...its about helping facilitate that
30 visions completion, keeping yourself involved so those working on it
31 feel involved themselves...leadership is just as much a community
32 building exercise as any of the rest of it.
33
34 --Dan