From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL, making CONFIG_CHECKS fatal by default
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 04:23:13
1 On 01/21/2013 10:38 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > CONFIG_CHECK has not been fatal for some years now, because there turned
3 > out to be some cases where it cannot detect what the system really has
4 > [1], or what is returned is wrong [2].
5 >
6 > However, while this is has been superb in helping those corner-cases,
7 > the fallout is that users frequently ignore the non-fatal warnings that
8 > a configuration option is needed to run a binary later, and end up with
9 > weird breakage.
10 >
11 > This patch introduces a new option, CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL, defaulting to
12 > enabled, that explicitly causes a die if:
13 > - CONFIG_CHECK cannot be performed successfully.
14 > - Any CONFIG_CHECK options fail.
17 Technical issues aside, I'm conflicted on this. In general, I don't
18 believe in protecting people from shooting themselves. However, I also
19 know how easy it is to ignore elog messages.
20
21 I guess this change is ok, given that I can opt-out fairly easily. Zac's
22 workaround for binary packages makes me feel better too.