From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: vapier@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new virtual/pkgconfig to support lighter alternatives
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 06:17:13
1 On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 00:08:34 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sunday 29 April 2012 18:40:00 Jeff Horelick wrote:
5 > > On 29 April 2012 18:11, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > the canonical pkg-config is getting fat. it requires glib-2. it
7 > > > runs pkg- config when building. glib-2 requires pkg-config.
8 > > > whee.
9 > > >
10 > > > for our normal systems, this isn't a big deal. but we'd like to
11 > > > enable a lighter alternative for embedded/alternative systems.
12 > > > as such, i'd like to introduce a virtual/pkgconfig that allows
13 > > > for selection of simpler (but compatible) implementations.
14 > > >
15 > > > we've got an implementation in perl (i'm not interested in), but
16 > > > there is also "pkg-config-lite" and "pkgconf". they should be
17 > > > compatible with the canonical pkg-config. they aren't yet in the
18 > > > tree, but will be once we agree on this topic.
19 > > >
20 > > > any comments ?
21 > >
22 > > I'd just like to say, i'm also an Atheme project member and I have
23 > > authorisation from nenolod (the primary pkgconf developer) to make
24 > > changes and stuff, so I can upstream any changes necessary to make
25 > > pkgconf work for us.
26 >
27 > that sounds really good. i sent you some patches ;).
28 >
29 > however, it's missing pkg.m4. any thoughts on that ?
30
31 Maybe we should provide it independently in some other package.
32 Considering the implementations are supposed to be compatible, the .m4
33 file should work fine with all of them. And we'll create same configure
34 files independently of which impl particular user uses.
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny