From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new virtual/pkgconfig to support lighter alternatives
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 16:06:59
1 On Monday 30 April 2012 02:16:40 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 00:08:34 -0400 Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 29 April 2012 18:40:00 Jeff Horelick wrote:
4 > > > I'd just like to say, i'm also an Atheme project member and I have
5 > > > authorisation from nenolod (the primary pkgconf developer) to make
6 > > > changes and stuff, so I can upstream any changes necessary to make
7 > > > pkgconf work for us.
8 > >
9 > > that sounds really good. i sent you some patches ;).
10 > >
11 > > however, it's missing pkg.m4. any thoughts on that ?
12 >
13 > Maybe we should provide it independently in some other package.
14 > Considering the implementations are supposed to be compatible, the .m4
15 > file should work fine with all of them. And we'll create same configure
16 > files independently of which impl particular user uses.
17
18 i debated that, but i'd rather not split the canonical pkg-config package into
19 (quite literally) two files. it makes upgrading dev-util/pkgconfig more of a
20 hassle, and having these re-implementations take care of things themselves
21 seems to be easier atm. if that ends up not being the case, we can always
22 revisit ... the current implementation doesn't preclude splitting.
23 -mike