From: Brian Friday <bfriday@××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo text editors
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 02:09:09
1 Matthew Kennedy wrote:
2 >
3 > Really they are the same thing in the general sense. IIRC, Debian's
4 > alternative system works like this (arrows are symlinks)
5 >
6 > /usr/bin/editor --> /etc/alternatives/editor
7 > /etc/alternatives/editor --> /usr/bin/emacs
8 >
9 > Just a simple indirection, really.
12 Redhat implements something similar for their bundled MTA's
13 and just like above you just change the "mta" to be your
14 favorite. All the applications which call sendmail are now
15 routed to sendmail.exim or sendmail.postfix. This type of
16 setup is an elegant way of allowing the user to choose the
17 tool they want. Though it could take a bit of legwork to
18 find all the places this type of change would work best.
19
20 In one sense I see this as being very much like SLOT in
21 portage right now (at least as I understand slot as a user)
22 but this specific idea while similar goes further than slot
23 in some ways and not as far as others. In a, I don't
24 maintain portage so don't know how hard this might be to
25 implement brainstorm, maybe enhancing SLOT or the idea
26 behind it to do the following. If two ebuilds which deploy
27 similar applications are called for and they block each
28 other (ie I try to install postfix when exim or qmail are
29 already installed). The portage system automatically engages
30 "SWITCH" which would then setup the applications to have the
31 symlink structure like shown above.
32
33 Of course this only works in situations where a block has
34 been identified by developers but perhaps (again thinking
35 way ahead) doing a scan after the package has been imaged
36 (ie /var/tmp/portage/pkgname/image) but before it is merged.
37
38 To keep things gentoo-ish we could leverage portage and make
39 a "switch" area like:
40
41 /etc/switch/net-mail/postfix
42 /etc/switch/net-mail/exim