From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [warning] the bug queue has 118 bugs
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:17:22
1 Mike Frysinger posted on Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:22:14 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Tuesday, December 14, 2010 20:54:45 Jeroen Roovers wrote:
4 >> On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:00:02 +0200 (EET) Alex Alexander wrote:
5 >> > Our bug queue has 118 bugs!
6 >>
7 >> I am starting to wonder if this is helping. It looks like everyone now
8 >> attempts to keep it <100 on a daily basis, but not to far <100, which
9 >> means a lot of old, difficult, nasty bug reports are left unattended.
10 >> Still, I got it down to about two dozen now.
11 >
12 > i think people will aim for whatever arbitrary limit is picked. so
13 > raising it to say 200 wont help either.
14
15 Agreed.
16
17 Which begs the question[1], why not take the opportunity to lower it?
18
19 The notices have been demonstrated to be able to keep it to ~100 bugs, but
20 IIRC that was a rather arbitrarily picked number, according to the
21 previous discussion thread.
22
23 Now that the number is/was ~24, what about lowering that to say 50 before
24 it hits that, and then by say one a day to some number deemed not to let
25 bugs languish, probably not lower than 2-3 average days worth, however,
26 given the warning period of once per day. (I've no idea what the filings
27 per day is, 50 obviously assumes <25.)
28
29 If the script could be improved to give the date and bug number (maybe
30 with title/summary?) of the oldest unassigned one as well, and trigger a
31 warning if it were more than, say, three days old, as well as by queue
32 length, that might be nice, too. However I recognize that's easy to say
33 given I'm not coding it.
34
35 ---
36 [1] Yeah, I know. I'm using the term in the rhetorical personification
37 sense, not the historical/legal sense.
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman