From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: CI services for Gentoo & Social Contract meanings of "dependant" notifications on depgraph breakages
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 15:17:33
1 Francesco Riosa posted on Thu, 16 Apr 2015 14:32:56 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > Actually an `emerge -uDN @world` fail constantly, because of broken deps
4 > and other stuff (given a desktop profile with a good number of packages)
5 > this fact render gentoo very unpleasant to keep up to date, it has never
6 > been a breeze but it was better.
7
8 As a gentoo user for over a decade that takes his job as an admin (if you
9 are responsible for a machine including updates and decisions what it
10 will run, you're an admin, for better or worse) seriously...
11
12 I don't see emerges being much more difficult now that before. Rather
13 the reverse, as they offer more information about what's going wrong,
14 now, and for someone serious about admining gentoo boxen, about how to
15 fix the problems, since they stay informed on how their tools work, just
16 as a skilled carpenter knows well how /his/ tools work.
17
18 Of course, that's why I subscribe here, too, because as an admin serious
19 about the job, I appreciate the value of the heads-up I get from this
20 list on most big changes.
21
22 OTOH, I run ~arch and always have, so what deps look like on sta(b)le I
23 couldn't say. To a large extent, gentoo depends on the people running
24 stable to care about it and report problems (with the same applying to
25 ~arch, of course). Tools only go so far... it still takes someone
26 skilled in using them to produce anything of value.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman