From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise thread -- a try of clarification
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 22:06:06
1 On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 16:14 -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > Since when was overlays.gentoo.org supposed to even be a service to our
4 > users? As I understand it, the goal was to ease development, not to
5 > provide an easy method for half-working ebuilds to make it to our user's
6 > machines.
7
8 What's the point of development if not to help users?
9 Everything we do should be done to help users (and worst case we help
10 that small group of users that are devs).
11
12 > > > This means it *CANNOT* be left up to a small group of developers to
13 > > > decide without any discussion on the matter.
14 > > So now we're a democracy where everything needs to be voted upon?
15 >
16 > Anything this abhorrently stupid doesn't need a vote.
17 Bullshit.
18 If you need to resort to insults you failed to show on a technical level
19 why it is bad.
20
21 > It should be cast
22 > out on its complete lack of merit, alone. Also, at no point did I ever
23 > ask for a vote. Don't put words in my mouth and I'll try to pretend
24 > like I care what you say, OK?
25 So now you're El Cheffe?
26
27 And please, stop sounding like my father.
30 > > *sigh*
31 > > Let's leave that debate for another day ...
32 >
33 > You brought it up, not I. Feel free to debate it with yourself until
34 > you're blue in the face.
35 I debated it for about 27 seconds, seems quite obvious now. Thanks for
36 the hint.
37
38 > > > > Yes, now it is easier to check out the ebuilds. More users ==> better
39 > > > > testing.
40 > > >
41 > > > Except that now the developer has to do much more work to get the same
42 > > > information, making it even less likely that he'll bother to pick up one
43 > > > of these maintainer-wanted bugs.
44 > > s/the developer/I/
45 >
46 > You're right... I had that wrong.
47 >
48 > s/the developer/the developers/
49 >
50 > After all, there have been quite a number of people agreeing with me.
51
52 That's a non sequitur.
53 There's also quite a number of people agreeing with me, but that doesn't
54 make any point of view better or more thruthful. So either we try to
55 discuss in the hope of finding a compromise or we do a headcount and do
56 something stupid. I'd prefer a discussion, but if you just want to HULK
57 SMASH SUNRISE I won't stop you.
58
59 > > there are some devs that would prefer this overlay environment.
60 > > Please don't push your personal preferences as The Right Way (tm)
61 >
62 > Ehh. Were you an ebuild developer, your opinion might actually count
63 > for something when it comes to an ebuild development discussion. By the
64 > way, where's the GWN this week?
65 Ulrich is MIA, nothing I can change. He does that from time to time.
66
67 > I'm glad your faith in them is so high. My faith in *any* group this
68 > small having the ability to watch over a large number of outside
69 > contributors simply isn't there.
70 Let it grow. Slowly.
71 Either it stands on its own or it dies from lack of interest.
72
73 > > That doesn't stop me from giving out access to my server to anyone who
74 > > has a good reason ... like the Gentoo/HURD repository or the Java
75 > > overlay.
76 > Well, we thank you for your immense self-sacrifice. What this has to do
77 > with the topic at hand, I have no idea.
78 Well ... think about it. It's kinda obvious once you grok it.
81 > > Just don't kill an idea before it is even tested ...
82 > Why not? What reason is there to stop me from aborting this brain-dead
83 > monstrosity before it claims a single user casualty, let alone our
84 > reputation? I would have thought that your involvement in "PR" would
85 > have you thinking better. A reputation is something that takes years to
86 > establish, and seconds to demolish. You, of all people, should know
87 > that.
88 Yes. But killing an idea like this seems almost as damaging to me.
89
90 There's a group of devs thinking "Hey, how can we make things better?".
91 They come up with a few ideas, throw away those that are just not
92 feasible. Then they have one idea that looks useful, they try to
93 implement it. So either you convince those people (with whom I am only
94 tangentially involved) that it is a bad idea or you let them do their
95 thing.
96
97 I think what is more damaging to the reputation of Gentoo is the
98 incessant discussion of ideas before they are even tried, killing many
99 good things before they even have a chance on a technical level.
100
101 > Yes, we are *so* lagged behind everyone else. Where do you come up with
102 > these "facts" anyway? I'd like to visit this mythical land.
103 Like, gcc 4 ? Gentoo is lagging behind most others (because our QA has grown from non-existant to really really good)
104
105 Sidenote: I don't mind that at all. But I see a split here ... one group going the debian route of making everything really really stable.
106 And the other group that doesn't mind mild b0rkage, but wants to be on
107 the bleeding edge.
108
109 Those two populations will be hard to reconcile. Give the second group a
110 sandbox and the first group can do their thing much easier ...
111
112 > > Where you see a problem I see potential: More well-tested ebuilds,
113 > > recruiting potential developers ... if you don't want that you're an
114 > > elitist bastard. ;-)
115 >
116 > Aww, how sweet. We've started the name calling.
117
118 Don't act that surprised, it looks fake. I'd appreciate it if we could
119 discuss things rationally, without your oh-so-funny sarcastic remarks
120 and snipes at me.
121
122 > I'm sorry, but having a general dumping ground for all of the crap that
123 > nobody found useful enough to actually include into Gentoo doesn't sound
124 > like the paradise that you're making it out to be. Luckily, I'm finding
125 > that I'm not alone in this, and that quite a few developers are backing
126 > me on this one. We're not blind to the problems with this project in
127 > its implementation, management, and intended goals. Perhaps you should
128 > open your eyes and seriously look at what you're pushing as a solution?
129 Now ... funny thing ... I'm only morally supporting this idea. I'm not actually involved any more than trying to discuss it.
130 I like the idea, now we should try to find a working implementation.
131
132 > Misdirection at its finest. So tell me, where do I learn this valuable
133 > skill of completely avoiding the truth and pretending to be blind to
134 > facts. It sure must come in handy.
135 I'm sorry, I'm out of sarcastic remarks. I'll have to pass on that one.
136 Bummer.
139 > > 2) low-quality? I might mention that I'm hosting some overlays that have
140 > > non-gentoo contributors (*gasp!*)
141 >
142 > Sure. Overlays that are run by Gentoo developers with a specific
143 > project in mind, where the project is also the maintainers of the
144 > similar packages in the tree, are intimately familiar with the packages,
145 > and are also responsible for all the bugs regarding them. Did you have
146 > a point, other than to help reiterate what I have said over and over
147 > again? You're starting to help my case as much as Jakub.
148 Hehe. You do realize that jakub does not agree with your interpretation
149 of reality as far as I can tell? So, considering that it's becoming
150 really nonsensical.
151
152 > > Why are they hosted on my server? Because the contributors are not (yet)
153 > > gentoo devs, but provide good to excellent input to the projects. So now
154 > > you tell me that I'm doing wrong in helping Gentoo development? These
155 > > people can't contribute to other gentoo-hosted projects, so it is easier
156 > > to move the repositories to a more liberal server.
157 >
158 > No. They're on your server because we had no facility for them to be
159 > placed on our infrastructure. They could all easily be moved now and
160 > would be well within the parameters for the overlays project.
161 As it happened with planet. Why do I have to have a working
162 proof-of-concept before anyone listens to me? :-)
163 That's just a silly redirection step that annoys all involved.
164
165 > However,
166 > project sunshine flies directly in the face of those parameters, and
167 > should be killed before it is allowed to harm Gentoo.
168 s/killed/modified/
169 It's called diplomacy, it's the thing you usually do instead of bombing
170 countries back into the stone age.
171
172 > > > I seriously question your motives towards the Gentoo project.
173 > > Good. Question them. I'm still doing what I can to help ... doing such silly things as finding new servers for Infra and writing articles for the GWN.
174 >
175 > Really? Which servers? Which articles?
176 Bug number 108379, just a smallish Opteron on an unmetered 100Mbit connection. You do the math on that one :-)
177
178 And articles ... well ... I've had at least one bit of my prose in
179 almost all GWNs since November 2004. Together with Ulrich I've been the
180 only really regular contributor.
181
182 But I don't see how _that_ relates to the discussion.
183
184 > > If that isn't good enough ... well ... who cares. You invest as much as
185 > > I do in your own server for Gentoo usage and I'll not question _your_
186 > > motives.
187 > Like the hardware I've donated on multiple occasions?
188 Good to hear. Don't turn it into a pissing contest, I'm just a poor
189 student, so you can outspend me any day of the week.
190
191 > Or the hours and
192 > hours I spend working on Gentoo's actual products? How about the hours
193 > spent running the Gentoo Store, that actually brings in money for
194 > Gentoo?
195 Good.
196
197 > Spending a few dollars doesn't make you anything more than a monetary
198 > contributor. It doesn't buy you any respect. It doesn't buy you
199 > anything.
200 Except that all of Gentoo Infra is donated. Are you saying that we don't
201 need any of these donations? Hey, tell OSU that we don't need their
202 support.
203
204 > How about instead actually answering the issues that have been
205 > presented?
206 You're going to kill it anyway, so why bother?
207
208 > How exactly is it easier to manage a large number of ebuilds versus a
209 > small number?
210 It is easier to manage one large overlay than managing 35 small overlays.
211 Communication overhead, duplication of effort, ...
212
213 > Quit averting the issues when they are brought up.
214 I'm not.
215
216 > > You know ... users. Those people that are not devs. Some of us try to
217 > > give them the best experience we can, and if there is something like an
218 > > overlay that even the more n00bish users can use we should try to
219 > > provide it.
220 >
221 > Huh? You mean the ones that expect us, as developers, to have their
222 > best interests in mind and to not allow poor-quality and potentially
223 > hazardous ebuilds to hit their machines? The same ones that trust us
224 > with the stability of their machines? The same ones that choose Gentoo
225 > because we're the best, not because we have some dumping ground of
226 > barely-wanted packages? Yeah, those users...
227 You might want to differentiate between user groups ... some want breakage.
228 Must be some special masochism, but they are using CFLAGS and overlays that
229 are really whacky. But if that's what they want to do I'm not going to stop them.
230 I'll try to convinve them that what they do is not right, their problem
231 if they don't listen.
232
233 Others want stability. For those everything moves too fast. So decide,
234 which group do you want? Ricers or debianites? I'll take both. A nice
235 stable tree for one group, one adequately labelled experimental
236 playground for the others.
239 > > > > And again, one svn repo vs. 113 hard-to-find bugs ...
240 > > > Amazing how you pull such numbers out of thin air.
241 > > It's a special talent. 47 <-- just for you
242 > Ahh, so you're lying. Thanks for pointing that out. It definitely
243 > helps.
244 Eh? What about the 47 is a lie? You're doubting the 47?
245
246 > > > Which 113 bugs are you talking about, exactly?
247 > > Try to find the relevant files in the three bugs jakub posted.
248 > > Now try that for multiple packages ... Most users won't need to harvest
249 > > 113 bugs, but I'd prefer a "svn up". It's just so much saner and less
250 > > work that it is hard for me to see how bugzilla even makes sense.
251 > So you don't have a list of 113 bugs, but instead go on to speak of your
252 > preference to svn up.
253 What jakub said.
254
255 > Now, I'm going to make this plain and simple. This is you avoiding the
256 > question that was presented to you.
257 No, it is you doing a ciaranm on me by trying to force me to discuss tangential issues, wrap me in two layers of confusion and then you do what you wanted to do from the beginning anyway.
258
259 > > Not everyone wants to spend 20h a week on Gentoo. Some people just want
260 > > to maintain their personal app for Gentoo. In some cases we already have
261 > > proxy-maintainers, so I don't see why we should not try to find more
262 > > motivated smart users to help.
263 >
264 > Great. Why do they need an overlay to do their job? The funny thing is
265 > that nobody has answered this question. All that anyone has done is
266 > given some vague references or promises about how it'll be "better"
267 > having an overlay with nothing to back it up.
268 I think it was jokey who pasted an email from a user who just wanted to
269 maintain his two packages without the full become-a-dev stuff, including
270 reading huge flamewars on mailinglists and other non-productive issues.
271
272 > However, I've been able
273 > to show quite a few ways in which this overlay will hurt Gentoo. There
274 > have also been comments from other developers, and users, that have been
275 > all but ignored. I guess it is hard to respond to something when you
276 > have no way to refute it, but I digress.
277 *shrug*
278 Then try to _modify_ it. There's a large group of users (including devs)
279 that would appreciate such an overlay. I guess it's hard to accept
280 dissenting opinions when you are not prepared to discuss, but I digress
281 too. Those are not the users we want *jedi mind trick* I guess.
282
283 > > > Also, just because I trust one person, doesn't mean I trust
284 > > > someone that you trust. Trust is not implicit, it is earned.
285 > > That's why most Gentoo devs can have an account on my server. Except
286 > > those that have told me directly that they don't like me :-)
287 >
288 > Again, you decide to point out something that is only somewhat related
289 > and try to use it as a proving point for your position, when it really
290 > bares no real relevance.
291 It does.
292 > What exactly does trusting developers, which
293 > have been members of the community for some time and have proven
294 > themselves, have to do with trusting a random set of users?
295 I also trust a mostly random subset of users. And I haven't had any
296 problems yet. Au contraire, these users have been some of the most
297 helpful and polite I've met. Some devs could learn a lot from them -
298 humility, politeness, all that stuff.
299
300 > I don't consider all users untrustworthy. Never once have I said that.
301 > This is another attempt to try to put words into my mouth so that you
302 > can hit home your own ideas, which aren't even relevant, since I didn't
303 > *say* what you're responding to. Remember what I said, and that you
304 > agreed to. Trust is earned.
305 No, strangers are friends you haven't met. Maybe I'm showing my anarchistic/liberal side again, but I tend to trust people until they screw up.
306 And the amazing part is that people rarely screw up if you are nice to
307 them and help them.
308
309 > > If someone wanted to exploit boxen he'd use a much simpler attack
310 > > vector ... our rsync mirrors are wide open. No need to secure the little
311 > > window over there when the front door is open ...
312 >
313 > Really? I'd like you to give me root on rsync.gentoo.org, then. What's
314 > that? You can't? What a wonder!
315 See my other email. No need to break the 10in metal plate when you can drive a truck trough the brick wall on the side...
316
317 > > Instead of trying to kill this idea you should try to get it modified
318 > > into something we all can agree on.
319 >
320 > I tried that. I ended up receiving vague references about how the
321 > current plan will make things "better" and how nothing needs to change.
322 > Either that or the issues were simply ignored. That to me says that the
323 > team involved isn't interested in compromise. That only leaves one
324 > course of action for me, and that is to work to kill the project.
325 Hmmm. Interesting.
326 So I guess it's all a big misunderstanding and we should start this
327 discussion from scratch. Looks like people talked past each other and
328 then got all personal instead of communicating.
331 Patrick
332 --
333 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move