From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise thread -- a try of clarification
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 20:26:27
1 On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 19:41 +0200, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > > This *will* affect *every* ebuild developer.
3 > Maybe you don't realize that taking ebuilds for packages that are _not in portage_ and providing them in a nice bundle does not affect every developer?
4
5 I'm sorry for the language, but I call bullshit. It is painfully
6 obvious by your response that you've never had a library that is an
7 optional dependency (and one we don't --without durng configure, since
8 it isn't in the tree) cause a problem in one of your packages. Allowing
9 libraries means it can cause breakage. Period.
10
11 > Noone wants to push a new cvs-snapshot of glibc. That so not the point
12 > here.
13
14 Nobody ever said that you have to push a new glibc to cause mass
15 breakage.
16
17 > But having a controlled managed overlay with ebuilds that are now spread
18 > all across bugzilla ... that would be a good service to our users.
19
20 Since when was overlays.gentoo.org supposed to even be a service to our
21 users? As I understand it, the goal was to ease development, not to
22 provide an easy method for half-working ebuilds to make it to our user's
23 machines.
24
25 > > This means it *CANNOT* be left up to a small group of developers to
26 > > decide without any discussion on the matter.
27 > So now we're a democracy where everything needs to be voted upon?
28
29 Anything this abhorrently stupid doesn't need a vote. It should be cast
30 out on its complete lack of merit, alone. Also, at no point did I ever
31 ask for a vote. Don't put words in my mouth and I'll try to pretend
32 like I care what you say, OK?
33
34 > *sigh*
35 > Let's leave that debate for another day ...
36
37 You brought it up, not I. Feel free to debate it with yourself until
38 you're blue in the face.
39
40 > > > Yes, now it is easier to check out the ebuilds. More users ==> better
41 > > > testing.
42 > >
43 > > Except that now the developer has to do much more work to get the same
44 > > information, making it even less likely that he'll bother to pick up one
45 > > of these maintainer-wanted bugs.
46 > s/the developer/I/
47
48 You're right... I had that wrong.
49
50 s/the developer/the developers/
51
52 After all, there have been quite a number of people agreeing with me.
53
54 > there are some devs that would prefer this overlay environment.
55 > Please don't push your personal preferences as The Right Way (tm)
56
57 Ehh. Were you an ebuild developer, your opinion might actually count
58 for something when it comes to an ebuild development discussion. By the
59 way, where's the GWN this week?
60
61 > > You also completely gloss over the
62 > > ability of a single rogue user to now compromise countless users with a
63 > > single commit.
64 > And an ebuild on bugzilla has more security?
65
66 Nope. However, I'm also not proposing that ebuilds from bugzilla
67 automatically get pulled in over some magical overlay that is supposed
68 to fix all of the problems Gentoo's ever had with unmaintained packages.
69
70 > We're just making it easier to use these ebuilds. Also I expect the
71 > maintainers to keep a reasonable quality standard.
72
73 I'm glad your faith in them is so high. My faith in *any* group this
74 small having the ability to watch over a large number of outside
75 contributors simply isn't there.
76
77 > > Please come back once you've firmly grounded yourself in
78 > > the reality that we're a pretty popular distribution, and that makes
79 > > this project a prime target for malicious abuse. Perhaps if you were
80 > > responsible for some ebuilds, you've be more cognizant of the
81 > > implications that a bad commit can cause our users.
82 > I am not responsible for ebuilds because I don't trust myself enough :-)
83
84 That's great. I don't trust you enough, either. ;]
85
86 > That doesn't stop me from giving out access to my server to anyone who
87 > has a good reason ... like the Gentoo/HURD repository or the Java
88 > overlay.
89
90 Well, we thank you for your immense self-sacrifice. What this has to do
91 with the topic at hand, I have no idea.
92
93 > > > That differs from the 20 or so overlays maintained by users how?
94 > >
95 > > Let's see. They aren't on Gentoo infrastructure, which means they don't
96 > > give off any immediate assumption of being "official" or "supported" in
97 > > any way. Hell, go back and look at Peter's response about how he would
98 > > use an overlay such as this only *because* it is on Gentoo
99 > > infrastructure.
100 > >
101 > > So what exactly was your counter-point again?
102 > We have control over sunrise. And hey, if it sucks kill the project with silver bullets, a stake to the heart and two pounds of garlic.
103
104 I'm locked and loaded.
105
106 > Just don't kill an idea before it is even tested ...
107
108 Why not? What reason is there to stop me from aborting this brain-dead
109 monstrosity before it claims a single user casualty, let alone our
110 reputation? I would have thought that your involvement in "PR" would
111 have you thinking better. A reputation is something that takes years to
112 establish, and seconds to demolish. You, of all people, should know
113 that.
114
115 > > Having an overlay such as this will tarnish Gentoo's reputation.
116 > No :-)
117 > What reputation are we talking about? The distro that lags in updates
118 > behind others?
119
120 Yes, we are *so* lagged behind everyone else. Where do you come up with
121 these "facts" anyway? I'd like to visit this mythical land.
122
123 > Where you see a problem I see potential: More well-tested ebuilds,
124 > recruiting potential developers ... if you don't want that you're an
125 > elitist bastard. ;-)
126
127 Aww, how sweet. We've started the name calling.
128
129 I'm sorry, but having a general dumping ground for all of the crap that
130 nobody found useful enough to actually include into Gentoo doesn't sound
131 like the paradise that you're making it out to be. Luckily, I'm finding
132 that I'm not alone in this, and that quite a few developers are backing
133 me on this one. We're not blind to the problems with this project in
134 its implementation, management, and intended goals. Perhaps you should
135 open your eyes and seriously look at what you're pushing as a solution?
136
137 > > We
138 > > should not be providing *anything* that is only half-supported or
139 > > half-tested. Anything less than being sully supported via the security
140 > > team and QA is a failure on the part of Gentoo. We have enough *crap*
141 > > in the *tree* that is unsupported, which makes us look bad, yet you want
142 > > to insist on supporting a project that affects all of the ebuild
143 > > developers, which you have not mentioned is a group which you are not a
144 > > part of, so can gladly speak of increasing their workload with no
145 > > consequences to yourself, and provides an avenue for low-quality or
146 > > possibly malicious ebuilds to be distributed to our users, all under a
147 > > Gentoo banner?
148 > No :-)
149 > 1) It doesn't increase your workload - these packages are things that
150 > are _not_ in the main tree.
151
152 I'm sorry, so your answer to this point is to just say that it is wrong
153 with absolutely no data to back it up. Sounds about par for the course
154 from this project's proponents. I've shown many examples where this
155 *could* and *would* adversely affect developer workload for developers
156 in the main tree. You are unable to refute it, so you simply state it
157 isn't true with absolutely no way to substantiate your claims.
158
159 > No overlap --> no stupid bugs with overwritten ebuilds etc.
160
161 Hahahahaha!
162
163 Misdirection at its finest. So tell me, where do I learn this valuable
164 skill of completely avoiding the truth and pretending to be blind to
165 facts. It sure must come in handy.
166
167 > 2) low-quality? I might mention that I'm hosting some overlays that have
168 > non-gentoo contributors (*gasp!*)
169
170 Sure. Overlays that are run by Gentoo developers with a specific
171 project in mind, where the project is also the maintainers of the
172 similar packages in the tree, are intimately familiar with the packages,
173 and are also responsible for all the bugs regarding them. Did you have
174 a point, other than to help reiterate what I have said over and over
175 again? You're starting to help my case as much as Jakub.
176
177 > Why are they hosted on my server? Because the contributors are not (yet)
178 > gentoo devs, but provide good to excellent input to the projects. So now
179 > you tell me that I'm doing wrong in helping Gentoo development? These
180 > people can't contribute to other gentoo-hosted projects, so it is easier
181 > to move the repositories to a more liberal server.
182
183 No. They're on your server because we had no facility for them to be
184 placed on our infrastructure. They could all easily be moved now and
185 would be well within the parameters for the overlays project. However,
186 project sunshine flies directly in the face of those parameters, and
187 should be killed before it is allowed to harm Gentoo.
188
189 > That tells me that Gentoo development is fundamentally buggy when we
190 > complain about a lack of manpower and then say "yeah, but not _that_
191 > kind of manpower" when users try to help.
192
193 Except nobody says "Hey, I'd like it if users would start adding more
194 stuff to an overlay that isn't maintained by any Gentoo developers so I
195 can get more bugs that don't have anything to do with the official
196 Gentoo repository. That would be swell."
197
198 Asking for help where help is actually needed is one thing. Creating a
199 project to dump all of the useless shit and try to pass it off as
200 "helping" development is another.
201
202 > <cynic>
203 > And people wonder why usually things get done secretly and then
204 > presented as a finished product - no wonder, it seems to be the only way
205 > to get _anything_ done.
206 > </cynic>
207
208 Perhaps because stupid ideas such as this should never see the light of
209 day and would be shot down by anyone sensible enough to look at it on
210 its actual merit versus some hair-brained concept of how important they
211 are and how much this will "help" development?
212
213 > > I seriously question your motives towards the Gentoo project.
214 > Good. Question them. I'm still doing what I can to help ... doing such silly things as finding new servers for Infra and writing articles for the GWN.
215
216 Really? Which servers? Which articles?
217
218 > If that isn't good enough ... well ... who cares. You invest as much as
219 > I do in your own server for Gentoo usage and I'll not question _your_
220 > motives.
221
222 Like the hardware I've donated on multiple occasions? Or the hours and
223 hours I spend working on Gentoo's actual products? How about the hours
224 spent running the Gentoo Store, that actually brings in money for
225 Gentoo?
226
227 Spending a few dollars doesn't make you anything more than a monetary
228 contributor. It doesn't buy you any respect. It doesn't buy you
229 anything.
230
231 > Remember that "Gentoo is all about choice" discussion that pops up every
232 > now and then?
233
234 Yeah, I remember it. I also remember that only idiots continue to tout
235 that party line as some kind of backing for every stupid and
236 hair-brained idea that should never see the light of day. Are you
237 really trying to use that as an argument for why something that can be
238 shown to be a bad idea should be done?
239
240 How about instead actually answering the issues that have been
241 presented?
242
243 > If a motivated group of devs wants to try an overlay experiment you
244 > should let them try. Worst case it's a failure and gets punted after two
245 > months.
246
247 No. The worst case scenario is some gets some malicious code in the
248 overlay and countless Gentoo boxes around the world get owned, Gentoo
249 catches the brunt of the backlash, and the distribution starts losing
250 users left and right and ends up dying out simply because a few selfish
251 developers couldn't be bothered to actually take into account what other
252 developers are telling them and decided to go forward with a stupid
253 idea. Of course, I'm probably an optimist and much worse could probably
254 happen.
255
256 > > Wow. Another one of those "I can't answer your issue, so I'll just try
257 > > to divert your attention somewhere else" answers. Thanks for absolutely
258 > > nothing but contributing noise.
259 > You know, I've met you at FOSDEM and I know that you don't mean this as an insult, but it is very easy to misread it as that.
260 > Might I suggest that you don't formulate responses in a way that can
261 > easily be read as a personal attack?
262
263 Might I suggest you actually answer a damn question instead of using
264 redirection and vague promises as some sort of quasi-argument?
265
266 > > > > Wouldn't this process be *infinitely* easier if instead of "sunrise"
267 > > > > there was a "pam" overlay with *only* the pam stuff?
268 > > > Ooooh, cool. Now I need about 75 overlays to get things done, and of course there will be no bad interaction between them ;-)
269 > > As opposed to the free for all that is this overlay?
270 > It's easier to manage one big overlay - at least that seems to be the motivation for doing it.
271
272 How exactly is it easier to manage a large number of ebuilds versus a
273 small number?
274
275 > And if we're all mistaken we at least learn a valuable lesson.
276
277 Yes, that a small group of people shouldn't be allowed to make decisions
278 for the whole and not take into account any of the cons in their ideas,
279 instead plodding forwards as if there were no objections to their ideas.
280
281 > > > ... and if we control the overlay we can exclude things like system
282 > > > packages easily.
283 > >
284 > > You really do a good job of making attempts to skirt the issues. Do me
285 > > a favor, if you're just going to use vague references and try to avoid
286 > > answering the issues at hand, don't bother wasting everyone's time by
287 > > replying. You're more than welcome to provide some *useful* insight,
288 > > but simply stating that something won't be an issue doesn't make it
289 > > true.
290 > And you are trying your best to make me look like an ass. Please stop
291 > doing that, it makes discussion really hard. Keep to technical issues.
292
293 Quit averting the issues when they are brought up.
294
295 > The issue is: This overlay will _not_ contain BreakMyGentoo-style
296 > ebuilds of new versions of things in portage. There won't be a glibc cvs
297 > snapshot. Just ebuilds that for now live in bugzilla and are hard to
298 > find. We wish to provide them in an easy-to-use package to our users.
299
300 This overlay *will* allow libraries that could inadvertently affect any
301 number of packages in the Gentoo repository.
302
303 This overlay *will* allow commits from anyone that requests it and has a
304 half-way decent ebuild in bugzilla, without doing any of the
305 trust-building that is normally required for someone to have commit
306 access to a Gentoo resource.
307
308 This overlay *will* not be monitored by any of the Gentoo security
309 project, yet will be an official repository of ebuilds coming from
310 Gentoo and hosted on Gentoo infrastructure.
311
312 > You know ... users. Those people that are not devs. Some of us try to
313 > give them the best experience we can, and if there is something like an
314 > overlay that even the more n00bish users can use we should try to
315 > provide it.
316
317 Huh? You mean the ones that expect us, as developers, to have their
318 best interests in mind and to not allow poor-quality and potentially
319 hazardous ebuilds to hit their machines? The same ones that trust us
320 with the stability of their machines? The same ones that choose Gentoo
321 because we're the best, not because we have some dumping ground of
322 barely-wanted packages? Yeah, those users...
323
324 > > > And again, one svn repo vs. 113 hard-to-find bugs ...
325 > > Amazing how you pull such numbers out of thin air.
326 > It's a special talent. 47 <-- just for you
327
328 Ahh, so you're lying. Thanks for pointing that out. It definitely
329 helps.
330
331 > > Which 113 bugs are you talking about, exactly?
332 > Try to find the relevant files in the three bugs jakub posted.
333 > Now try that for multiple packages ... Most users won't need to harvest
334 > 113 bugs, but I'd prefer a "svn up". It's just so much saner and less
335 > work that it is hard for me to see how bugzilla even makes sense.
336
337 So you don't have a list of 113 bugs, but instead go on to speak of your
338 preference to svn up.
339
340 Now, I'm going to make this plain and simple. This is you avoiding the
341 question that was presented to you.
342
343 > > Isn't that what the process of becoming a developer is supposed to
344 > > build?
345 > That process that many people consider too complicated and
346 > time-consuming?
347
348 Yes. That *exact* process that weeds out the people that honestly want
349 to be a part of Gentoo and those that casually want to contribute.
350
351 > Not everyone wants to spend 20h a week on Gentoo. Some people just want
352 > to maintain their personal app for Gentoo. In some cases we already have
353 > proxy-maintainers, so I don't see why we should not try to find more
354 > motivated smart users to help.
355
356 Great. Why do they need an overlay to do their job? The funny thing is
357 that nobody has answered this question. All that anyone has done is
358 given some vague references or promises about how it'll be "better"
359 having an overlay with nothing to back it up. However, I've been able
360 to show quite a few ways in which this overlay will hurt Gentoo. There
361 have also been comments from other developers, and users, that have been
362 all but ignored. I guess it is hard to respond to something when you
363 have no way to refute it, but I digress.
364
365 > > Also, just because I trust one person, doesn't mean I trust
366 > > someone that you trust. Trust is not implicit, it is earned.
367 > That's why most Gentoo devs can have an account on my server. Except
368 > those that have told me directly that they don't like me :-)
369
370 Again, you decide to point out something that is only somewhat related
371 and try to use it as a proving point for your position, when it really
372 bares no real relevance. What exactly does trusting developers, which
373 have been members of the community for some time and have proven
374 themselves, have to do with trusting a random set of users?
375
376 > > Some
377 > > random user having complete access to an area where only people that *I*
378 > > trust should really have access is not instilling faith in me of this
379 > > project. However, instead of answering these concerns, you simply brush
380 > > them aside as a non-issue, though I am not the only developer that has
381 > > spoken out on this *exact* same issue.
382 > The difference between a random user and a dev often is not much more
383 > than an @gentoo.org email adress. I don't consider all users
384 > untrustworthy - if they show that they wish to help we should not
385 > sabotage them. Maybe you don't remember the time when you were "just" a
386 > user?
387
388 I don't consider all users untrustworthy. Never once have I said that.
389 This is another attempt to try to put words into my mouth so that you
390 can hit home your own ideas, which aren't even relevant, since I didn't
391 *say* what you're responding to. Remember what I said, and that you
392 agreed to. Trust is earned.
393
394 > If someone wanted to exploit boxen he'd use a much simpler attack
395 > vector ... our rsync mirrors are wide open. No need to secure the little
396 > window over there when the front door is open ...
397
398 Really? I'd like you to give me root on rsync.gentoo.org, then. What's
399 that? You can't? What a wonder!
400
401 > Instead of trying to kill this idea you should try to get it modified
402 > into something we all can agree on.
403
404 I tried that. I ended up receiving vague references about how the
405 current plan will make things "better" and how nothing needs to change.
406 Either that or the issues were simply ignored. That to me says that the
407 team involved isn't interested in compromise. That only leaves one
408 course of action for me, and that is to work to kill the project.
411 Chris Gianelloni
412 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
413 x86 Architecture Team
414 Games - Developer
415 Gentoo Linux