From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise thread -- a try of clarification
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 17:44:53
1 On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 12:20 -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > > bugzilla sucks. Ever had to download 10 attachments for one ebuild?
3 > > It is a good tool for discussion, but I would prefer a simple tool (like
4 > > layman) that can automatically update things. You obviously don't like
5 > > overlays, but that shouldn't be a reason to stop us from using it.
6 >
7 > Well, I thank you for your vast experience as an ebuild developer in
8 > this matter.
9
10 My pleasure. I'd rather see myself as poweruser in this regard since I
11 try not to break too many ebuilds ...
12
13 > You do realize that this isn't one of those things where you can say
14 > that if you don't like it you don't have to use it, right?
15 >
16 > This *will* affect *every* ebuild developer.
17 Maybe you don't realize that taking ebuilds for packages that are _not in portage_ and providing them in a nice bundle does not affect every developer?
18 Noone wants to push a new cvs-snapshot of glibc. That so not the point
19 here.
20
21 But having a controlled managed overlay with ebuilds that are now spread
22 all across bugzilla ... that would be a good service to our users.
23
24 > This means it *CANNOT* be left up to a small group of developers to
25 > decide without any discussion on the matter.
26 So now we're a democracy where everything needs to be voted upon?
27 *sigh*
28 Let's leave that debate for another day ...
29
30 > > Yes, now it is easier to check out the ebuilds. More users ==> better
31 > > testing.
32 >
33 > Except that now the developer has to do much more work to get the same
34 > information, making it even less likely that he'll bother to pick up one
35 > of these maintainer-wanted bugs.
36 s/the developer/I/
37 there are some devs that would prefer this overlay environment.
38 Please don't push your personal preferences as The Right Way (tm)
39
40 > You also completely gloss over the
41 > ability of a single rogue user to now compromise countless users with a
42 > single commit.
43 And an ebuild on bugzilla has more security?
44 We're just making it easier to use these ebuilds. Also I expect the
45 maintainers to keep a reasonable quality standard.
46 > Please come back once you've firmly grounded yourself in
47 > the reality that we're a pretty popular distribution, and that makes
48 > this project a prime target for malicious abuse. Perhaps if you were
49 > responsible for some ebuilds, you've be more cognizant of the
50 > implications that a bad commit can cause our users.
51 I am not responsible for ebuilds because I don't trust myself enough :-)
52 That doesn't stop me from giving out access to my server to anyone who
53 has a good reason ... like the Gentoo/HURD repository or the Java
54 overlay.
55
56 > > That differs from the 20 or so overlays maintained by users how?
57 >
58 > Let's see. They aren't on Gentoo infrastructure, which means they don't
59 > give off any immediate assumption of being "official" or "supported" in
60 > any way. Hell, go back and look at Peter's response about how he would
61 > use an overlay such as this only *because* it is on Gentoo
62 > infrastructure.
63 >
64 > So what exactly was your counter-point again?
65 We have control over sunrise. And hey, if it sucks kill the project with silver bullets, a stake to the heart and two pounds of garlic.
66 Just don't kill an idea before it is even tested ...
67
68 > Having an overlay such as this will tarnish Gentoo's reputation.
69 No :-)
70 What reputation are we talking about? The distro that lags in updates
71 behind others?
72 Where you see a problem I see potential: More well-tested ebuilds,
73 recruiting potential developers ... if you don't want that you're an
74 elitist bastard. ;-)
75
76 > We
77 > should not be providing *anything* that is only half-supported or
78 > half-tested. Anything less than being sully supported via the security
79 > team and QA is a failure on the part of Gentoo. We have enough *crap*
80 > in the *tree* that is unsupported, which makes us look bad, yet you want
81 > to insist on supporting a project that affects all of the ebuild
82 > developers, which you have not mentioned is a group which you are not a
83 > part of, so can gladly speak of increasing their workload with no
84 > consequences to yourself, and provides an avenue for low-quality or
85 > possibly malicious ebuilds to be distributed to our users, all under a
86 > Gentoo banner?
87 No :-)
88 1) It doesn't increase your workload - these packages are things that
89 are _not_ in the main tree.
90 No overlap --> no stupid bugs with overwritten ebuilds etc.
91 2) low-quality? I might mention that I'm hosting some overlays that have
92 non-gentoo contributors (*gasp!*)
93 Why are they hosted on my server? Because the contributors are not (yet)
94 gentoo devs, but provide good to excellent input to the projects. So now
95 you tell me that I'm doing wrong in helping Gentoo development? These
96 people can't contribute to other gentoo-hosted projects, so it is easier
97 to move the repositories to a more liberal server.
98
99 That tells me that Gentoo development is fundamentally buggy when we
100 complain about a lack of manpower and then say "yeah, but not _that_
101 kind of manpower" when users try to help.
102
103 <cynic>
104 And people wonder why usually things get done secretly and then
105 presented as a finished product - no wonder, it seems to be the only way
106 to get _anything_ done.
107 </cynic>
108
109 > I seriously question your motives towards the Gentoo project.
110 Good. Question them. I'm still doing what I can to help ... doing such silly things as finding new servers for Infra and writing articles for the GWN.
111 If that isn't good enough ... well ... who cares. You invest as much as
112 I do in your own server for Gentoo usage and I'll not question _your_
113 motives.
114
115 > > Hmmm ... bugzilla.
116 > > Instead of a simple cvs up; cd /usr/local/portage/category/package I
117 > > need to search for ALL bugs with $name in it, look which one it is,
118 > > curse bugzilla for falling asleep again, see which attachments are
119 > > relevant, download them, curse bugzilla for falling asleep again, copy
120 > > them to my overlay, read the bugcomments to see if any special renaming
121 > > or directory structure is needed ...
122 > >
123 > > Hmmm. I think an overlay does have some advantages there ...
124 >
125 > Sure. Until I sneak in some obfuscated code as a "fix" to a "bug" and
126 > it gets executed on your machine because the actual *developers* that
127 > are used to maintaining this stuff and know what to look for aren't a
128 > part of the process.
129 It's all about trust. Those people that suck ebuilds out of bugzilla now
130 will use the overlay. Same potential for damage in a slightly different
131 package ...
132
133 > Making something easier does not make it better. I'm sorry, but you've
134 > yet to convince me on how your laziness is supposed to be an improvement
135 > for the development process of Gentoo.
136 Less work --> more time to do interesting things.
137
138 And just because you don't like overlays doesn't mean we should remove
139 them. Heck, I really really dislike Gnome, but I'm not going to petition
140 for removal just because I don't like it.
141
142 Remember that "Gentoo is all about choice" discussion that pops up every
143 now and then?
144 If a motivated group of devs wants to try an overlay experiment you
145 should let them try. Worst case it's a failure and gets punted after two
146 months.
149 > Wow. Another one of those "I can't answer your issue, so I'll just try
150 > to divert your attention somewhere else" answers. Thanks for absolutely
151 > nothing but contributing noise.
152 You know, I've met you at FOSDEM and I know that you don't mean this as an insult, but it is very easy to misread it as that.
153 Might I suggest that you don't formulate responses in a way that can
154 easily be read as a personal attack?
155
156 > > > Wouldn't this process be *infinitely* easier if instead of "sunrise"
157 > > > there was a "pam" overlay with *only* the pam stuff?
158 > > Ooooh, cool. Now I need about 75 overlays to get things done, and of course there will be no bad interaction between them ;-)
159 > As opposed to the free for all that is this overlay?
160 It's easier to manage one big overlay - at least that seems to be the motivation for doing it.
161 And if we're all mistaken we at least learn a valuable lesson.
162
163 > > Having one overlay with a focus on not-in-portage ebuilds should not
164 > > cause the scenario you described and will most likely cause less weird
165 > > bugs because of intra-overlay dependencies.
166 > What evidence do you have of this?
167 > > </opinion>
168 It helps if you keep things in context
169
170 > Oh, right. None.
171 That's why I wrapped it in <opinion></opinion> tags.
172 If we knew the answers we wouldn't need to discuss things ...
175 > > ... and if we control the overlay we can exclude things like system
176 > > packages easily.
177 >
178 > You really do a good job of making attempts to skirt the issues. Do me
179 > a favor, if you're just going to use vague references and try to avoid
180 > answering the issues at hand, don't bother wasting everyone's time by
181 > replying. You're more than welcome to provide some *useful* insight,
182 > but simply stating that something won't be an issue doesn't make it
183 > true.
184 And you are trying your best to make me look like an ass. Please stop
185 doing that, it makes discussion really hard. Keep to technical issues.
186
187 The issue is: This overlay will _not_ contain BreakMyGentoo-style
188 ebuilds of new versions of things in portage. There won't be a glibc cvs
189 snapshot. Just ebuilds that for now live in bugzilla and are hard to
190 find. We wish to provide them in an easy-to-use package to our users.
191
192 You know ... users. Those people that are not devs. Some of us try to
193 give them the best experience we can, and if there is something like an
194 overlay that even the more n00bish users can use we should try to
195 provide it.
196
197 > > Could be part of the policy to not touch existing ebuilds.
198 > Actually, it already is, according to jokey.
199 Even better!
200
201 > > And again, one svn repo vs. 113 hard-to-find bugs ...
202 > Amazing how you pull such numbers out of thin air.
203 It's a special talent. 47 <-- just for you
204 > Which 113 bugs are you talking about, exactly?
205 Try to find the relevant files in the three bugs jakub posted.
206 Now try that for multiple packages ... Most users won't need to harvest
207 113 bugs, but I'd prefer a "svn up". It's just so much saner and less
208 work that it is hard for me to see how bugzilla even makes sense.
209 > > > Even better, if I am the proxy
210 > > > maintainer for a particular set of ebuilds for one or more
211 > > > user/maintainers, why do I need it in your big, bloated, and completely
212 > > > inappropriately-named "sunshine" overlay versus a developer overlay of
213 > > > my own?
214 > > You don't. Please use your developer overlay. Please don't try to take
215 > > away our more open overlay.
216 >
217 > Unfortunately, your request for my dropping of this issue will not be
218 > honoured.
219 That is weird, but you are entitled to your opinion.
220
221 > This overlay is a bad idea, that is being poorly executed,
222 > and is being *forced* on the developer community at large with
223 > absolutely no for-warning or planning.
224 That is your opinion. I think it's a good idea with a best-effort
225 execution.
226 And noone is forced to do anything - all that data is in bugzilla
227 already.
228
229 > It really is a shame that we
230 > don't have any policies that allow for action to be taken against people
231 > who either knowingly, or through actions of ignorance, cause massive
232 > damage to Gentoo such as this.
233 Define damage - I see your efforts to keep a motivated group of devs
234 from implementing a new and untested idea as damaging. But I can accept
235 that - you have a different point of view. Would be boring if we all
236 agreed.
237
238 > > > After all, I am the *only* proxy maintainer. Why should there
239 > > > be the added *insecurity* of allowing any number of people that *I*
240 > > > might not trust complete access to the small number of packages where I
241 > > > am the proxy?
242 > > It's your choice. Either you get mailbombed with each minor version update or you trust them to not screw up with the sunrise overlay.
243 >
244 > Isn't that what the process of becoming a developer is supposed to
245 > build?
246 That process that many people consider too complicated and
247 time-consuming?
248 Not everyone wants to spend 20h a week on Gentoo. Some people just want
249 to maintain their personal app for Gentoo. In some cases we already have
250 proxy-maintainers, so I don't see why we should not try to find more
251 motivated smart users to help.
252
253 > Also, just because I trust one person, doesn't mean I trust
254 > someone that you trust. Trust is not implicit, it is earned.
255 That's why most Gentoo devs can have an account on my server. Except
256 those that have told me directly that they don't like me :-)
257
258 > Some
259 > random user having complete access to an area where only people that *I*
260 > trust should really have access is not instilling faith in me of this
261 > project. However, instead of answering these concerns, you simply brush
262 > them aside as a non-issue, though I am not the only developer that has
263 > spoken out on this *exact* same issue.
264 The difference between a random user and a dev often is not much more
265 than an @gentoo.org email adress. I don't consider all users
266 untrustworthy - if they show that they wish to help we should not
267 sabotage them. Maybe you don't remember the time when you were "just" a
268 user?
269
270 > Why exactly are we supporting these overlays via layman anyway? That
271 > implies a level of trust and support that you admit we do not have. I
272 > guess I should touch on that subject next, but that doesn't belong in
273 > this discussion.
274 We support them because a dev or a group of devs decided to do it.
275 As long as Gentoo doesn't have a BDFL this will happen ... and if you
276 don't like it discuss it with the relevant person(s). Maybe they are
277 willing to change things?
278
279 > > Maybe we even find some motivated new ebuild monkeys that have the
280 > > motivation to become devs ... one can always hope :-)
281 >
282 > ...and maybe we get owned and people quit using Gentoo because a few
283 > developers decided to go against the advice of other developers and
284 > allowed for an easy-access, easily-exploitable way for some malicious
285 > user to own countless Gentoo boxes, and nobody did anything to stop it.
286 If someone wanted to exploit boxen he'd use a much simpler attack
287 vector ... our rsync mirrors are wide open. No need to secure the little
288 window over there when the front door is open ...
289
290 > Well, I am going to do everything within my power to stop it. I will
291 > not back down until this project is dead. It really is that simple.
292 Ok, that seems counterproductive to me, but if you are not willing to compromise it will be hard to have any communication at all.
293
294 Instead of trying to kill this idea you should try to get it modified
295 into something we all can agree on.
298 take care,
299 Patrick
300 --
301 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move