From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Wout Mertens <wmertens@×××××.com>
Cc: Jay Pfeifer <pfeifer@g.o>, Frederick Reeve <frederick@××××××××××.org>, Alain Penders <alain@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o, Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@×××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net.eth0
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 23:09:31
1 On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:42:00 +0100 (CET)
2 Wout Mertens <wmertens@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Well, instead of hard-coding a few ways (ifconfig parameters or dhcp)
5 > of bringing up the network interfaces, I propose a modular approach,
6 > where a few functions/scripts are defined that can bring up the
7 > interface, and you can define which ones you like in what order. To
8 > bring up the interface, they will be called in order until one
9 > succeeds.
10 >
11 > On top of that, I propose the same thing, but for events about network
12 > interfaces. That way, you can add in dyndns clients, reconfigure
13 > applications etc.
14 >
15 > Configuration is still done through /etc/conf.d/net.
16 >
17 > I have done a lot of weird stuff with my network scripts over the last
18 > few years, and this approach would be able to do all the things I can
19 > remember, in a way that can be automated and clean.
22 Yes, but I wanted a bit more specifics.
23
24 > Well, if there are no takers, I think I'll give that approach a whirl
25 > and see what happens.
28 To be honest, my resources networks wise is very limited, and I would
29 appreciate it if somebody with enough pcmcia/wireless/dhcp/whatever
30 knowledge will take the network bit off my hands.
31
32 I do have one requirement though: Please keep it sane, and me in
33 the loop for at least the initial stuff until we agree that it is
34 a workable solution.
37 Regards,
41 Martin Schlemmer
42 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
43 Cape Town, South Africa
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list