From: Nick Matthews <nick@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net.eth0
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 02:18:32
1 On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 01:03:46 +0200
2 Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:42:00 +0100 (CET)
5 > Wout Mertens <wmertens@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Well, instead of hard-coding a few ways (ifconfig parameters or dhcp)
8 > > of bringing up the network interfaces, I propose a modular approach,
9 > > where a few functions/scripts are defined that can bring up the
10 > > interface, and you can define which ones you like in what order. To
11 > > bring up the interface, they will be called in order until one
12 > > succeeds.
13 > >
14 > > On top of that, I propose the same thing, but for events about network
15 > > interfaces. That way, you can add in dyndns clients, reconfigure
16 > > applications etc.
17 > >
18 > > Configuration is still done through /etc/conf.d/net.
19 > >
20 > > I have done a lot of weird stuff with my network scripts over the last
21 > > few years, and this approach would be able to do all the things I can
22 > > remember, in a way that can be automated and clean.
25 > Yes, but I wanted a bit more specifics.
26 >
27 > > Well, if there are no takers, I think I'll give that approach a whirl
28 > > and see what happens.
31 > To be honest, my resources networks wise is very limited, and I would
32 > appreciate it if somebody with enough pcmcia/wireless/dhcp/whatever
33 > knowledge will take the network bit off my hands.
34
35 Well, lets see here, I have a pcmcia setup, with both wireless and wired connections, I use dhcp most of the time, but need to use static ips as well. (My laptop at times needs to be used for static testing purposes on the same lan as an entirely different dhcp network)
36
37 I can certainly help test any network script changes.
38
39 I need to have a look again as to whats currently going on, and then I might have some ideas and suggestions.
42 > I do have one requirement though: Please keep it sane, and me in
43 > the loop for at least the initial stuff until we agree that it is
44 > a workable solution.
47 > Regards,
48 >
49 > --
50 >
51 > Martin Schlemmer
52 > Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
53 > Cape Town, South Africa
56 > --
57 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
61 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list