From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: danarmak@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why the FHS can't be followed
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 14:07:56
1 On Tuesday 02 July 2002 01:41 pm, Dan Armak wrote:
2
3 > And since we've come to the conclusion we can't put it in /opt,
4 > /usr/kde/2,3 (or equivalent) is the only option left. The fhs doesn't
5 > provide for having more than one version of a package installed at a time
6 > but we have to do it with qt2/3 and kdelibs2/3 (and gnome 1.4/2). I prefer
7 > that option over 100% FHS compliance.
8
9 I find the use of a .../kde/2 and .../kde/3 directory to be very useful, and
10 your reasoning for doing so certainly seems sound to myself (speaking as a
11 more or less 'outside' observer).
12
13 However, I'm a little confused why (or how) it was decided that /opt would be
14 an inappropriate place to have put this. In other words, why is /usr/kde/3
15 and /usr/kde/2 better than /opt/kde/3 and /opt/kde/2? I'm not criticizing (I
16 have no real opinion on FHS compliance, or lack thereof, at all), I'm just
17 wondering what the rationale is for not wanting to put things like this in
18 /opt.
19
20 Jean.