From: Luke Ravitch <luke@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why the FHS can't be followed
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 15:06:09
1 On 2002-07-02 12:09, Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com> wrote:
2 > However, I'm a little confused why (or how) it was decided that /opt
3 > would be an inappropriate place to have put this. In other words,
4 > why is /usr/kde/3 and /usr/kde/2 better than /opt/kde/3 and
5 > /opt/kde/2? I'm not criticizing (I have no real opinion on FHS
6 > compliance, or lack thereof, at all), I'm just wondering what the
7 > rationale is for not wanting to put things like this in /opt.
8
9 My feeling is that nothing in the /usr tree should depend on anything
10 in /opt. Things in /opt are meant to be self-contained. If we put
11 Gnome and KDE in /opt, where do we put apps that optionally depend on
12 them? E.g, XMMS isn't really a gnome app (and so shouldn't be under
13 /opt/gnome) but can have Gnome dependencies (for the applet).
14
15 Gnome and KDE are most like X. X has its own directory in /usr. It
16 is part of the system. As such, it's not such a big deal if programs
17 that depend on X live outside the X tree. Of course, the FHS
18 considers /usr/X11 an unfortunate goof that, sadly, needs to be kept
19 around because of the tremendous inertia behind it.
20
21 Though I'm generally a big supporter, I think the FHS might be wrong
22 on this one. Gnome and KDE should go under /usr/gnome and /usr/kde.
23 I do agree that adding an immediate subdirectory of /usr is not
24 something that should be taken lightly. However, Gnome and KDE are
25 significantly entrenched as part of Gentoo that they might warrant an
26 X-like exception.
27
28 Another idea (likely a better one) is to put Gnome and KDE in their
29 own directories under /usr/X11R6. FreeBSD has GTK and Gnome apps (I
30 don't know what they do with KDE, I imagine it's similar) in the X11
31 tree. That's always seemed right to me. But they put them in there
32 like we dump Gnome into /usr, so there isn't the advantage of separate
33 trees for separate versions. I think /usr/X11R6/gnome and
34 /usr/X11R6/kde trees could really work out well. And I don't think
35 the FHS regulates the contents of the X11 tree, so we'd keep them
36 happy as well.
37
38 My $0.02.
41 Luke