From: Fuper <futurist@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why the FHS can't be followed
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 17:18:25
1 The FHS _has_ been followed by Gentoo.
2
3 The use of /opt is optional. The Standard places limitations on the use
4 of /opt and gives an historic rationale for it, but does not require
5 that anything be installed in /opt.
6
7 I would suggest that everyone actually read the FHS at
8 <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/>
9
10 BTW the restrictions are that any package installed in /opt must reside
11 entirely within it's own subdirectory /opt/<package> and that no package
12 may modify or delete software installed in /opt by the local system
13 administrator. Only the local administrator may install files into the
14 directories: /opt/bin /opt/include /opt/lib /opt/man /opt/info
15
16 Especially read the Rationale for /opt --- it was an AT&T System V
17 invention and is to hold "Add-on Software Packages" that are not a part
18 of the "System Software". That made sense for System V for which
19 "System Software" had a definition. There is much less clear
20 distinctions between "system" and "add-on" in a Linux system. There is
21 no distinction between "system" and "add-on" in the Gentoo
22 meta-distribution. In a meta-distribution it's all under local
23 administrator control.
24
25 /opt is optional
26
27 BTW I prefer to place binary-only packages such as Acroread in /opt and
28 otherwise to keep /opt as small as possible. I don't put any local
29 software in /opt and don't recommend that you do either. /usr/local is
30 more traditional and if you like to keep apps contained within their own
31 package directories then use GNU Stow and install each package as
32 /usr/local/stow/<package>. See
33 <http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/stow.html>
34
35 p.s. I passed the LPIC Level 1 exams! They are tough.