From: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
To: Eric Olinger <EvvL@××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] install CD bloat
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 05:13:21
1 Eric Olinger wrote:
2 > If were really talking about saving space on the livecd we could always replace
3 > vim with nVi. It has all the basic vi features in a lot smaller package. Plus in
4 > that extra space put a small emacs work-alike like qemacs. I don't use emacs
5 > but I always assumed that since we had Vi on the cd that Emacs was on the
6 > cd as well. It'd be good to have at least the the two most common editors on
7 > the cd or at least work-alikes.
8
9 Like my Scotch namesake, I believe there shold be a vi-compliant editor
10 on the install CD (and within the chroot!) for more experienced users.
11 Vi is an editor that can be found on any UNIX / Linux system. Having
12 Nano around for inexperienced users (or the obstinate ones who are under
13 the impression that Nano is "more powerful" than Vi(M)) is also a good idea.
14
15 Vim is one of the first packages I merge on any Gentoo system, simply
16 because nano drives me up the wall (Forget to use "-w" on the command
17 line? Oops! File broken! Start over!); right along with my Cron and
18 Syslog daemons, before even the kernel.
19
20 However, whichever Vi(m) we choose, it should be slim. It shouldn't,
21 however, be slim for the sake of being slim. Eg; "Mike's Slim ViM!" and
22 the like should be avoided. Mainstream only!
23
24 It's entirely probable that ViM is the culprit for bringing Perl into
25 the install CD; that can and should be done away with. There's no need
26 for a full-bore Perl interpreter on a CD that comes with an sh and
27 Python interpreter.
30 Stewart Honsberger
31 http://blackdeath.snerk.org/
32 "Capitalists, by nature, organize to protect themselves.
33 -- Geeks, by nature, resist organizaion."
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list