From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
Cc: Eric Olinger <EvvL@××××××××××.net>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] install CD bloat
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 05:42:23
1 On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 01:13:52AM -0400, Stewart Honsberger wrote:
2 [snip]
3 > Like my Scotch namesake, I believe there shold be a vi-compliant editor
4 > on the install CD (and within the chroot!) for more experienced users.
5 > Vi is an editor that can be found on any UNIX / Linux system. Having
6 > Nano around for inexperienced users (or the obstinate ones who are under
7 > the impression that Nano is "more powerful" than Vi(M)) is also a good idea.
8
9 Why? The amount of editing done prior to getting your system to a point
10 where you can emerge vim (i.e., after emerge system) is minimal.
11 Offhand, I can only think of make.conf.
12
13 nano is more than enough for editing make.conf. We're trying to _cut
14 down_ on bloat, not increase it.
17 > Vim is one of the first packages I merge on any Gentoo system, simply
18 > because nano drives me up the wall (Forget to use "-w" on the command
19 > line? Oops! File broken! Start over!); right along with my Cron and
20 > Syslog daemons, before even the kernel.
21
22 Okay, so merge after emerge system; why do you need it for editing a
23 single file (make.conf)?
24
25 (Oh, and try Esc+W to turn on/off autowrap in nano. You don't need to
26 specify -w.)
29 Jon Portnoy
30 avenj/irc.freenode.net
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list