From: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
To: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
Cc: Eric Olinger <EvvL@××××××××××.net>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] install CD bloat
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 05:58:49
1 Jon Portnoy wrote:
2
3 > Why? The amount of editing done prior to getting your system to a point
4 > where you can emerge vim (i.e., after emerge system) is minimal.
5 > Offhand, I can only think of make.conf.
6
7 make.conf, fstab, hostname are the basics. /install.txt is a
8 possibility, though less handles that.
9
10 > nano is more than enough for editing make.conf. We're trying to _cut
11 > down_ on bloat, not increase it.
12
13 But if ViM and Perl and the Kitchen Sink libraries are already installed
14 on the CD, removing Perl will cut down bloat. ;> It's just a matter of
15 degree.
16
17 Re: my previous message about limits, if we're doing this solely in the
18 interests of cutting down bloat, we could throw a few lines about "echo"
19 and stdout redirection in install.txt and forego the editor altogether.
20 (Who remembers 'edlin'?)
21
22 > Okay, so merge after emerge system; why do you need it for editing a
23 > single file (make.conf)?
24
25 Don't underestimate the complexity of editing make.conf. There are
26 presently ${VERY_LARGE_NUMBER} of variables to consider in the file, and
27 I know my USE="" line is quite long (atleast two wraps at 80 character
28 screen width).
29
30 > (Oh, and try Esc+W to turn on/off autowrap in nano. You don't need to
31 > specify -w.)
32
33 That's about as simple/complex, obvious/obscure as such a command in ViM.
36 Stewart Honsberger
37 http://blackdeath.snerk.org/
38 "Capitalists, by nature, organize to protect themselves.
39 -- Geeks, by nature, resist organizaion."
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list