From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: Multiple root kernel command-line arguments
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 18:57:13
1 On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 1:41 PM Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 11:59 AM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > On 2020-08-06 17:44, Michał Górny wrote:
6 > > > I'm not sure if you've noticed but there are people actively working
7 > > > towards removing stale news items and trying not to dump everything
8 > > > on once on a user freshly installing the system. Don't you consider
9 > > > this a worthwhile goal?
10 > >
11 > > I don't see how this is conflicting.
12 > >
13 > > This news item can probably go away after 1-2 years.
14 > >
15 > > But for now, people who were just lucky will probably trigger this when
16 > > upgrading to genkernel-4.1 on their first reboot due to switched device
17 > > manager.
18 > >
19 > > But again: It's not a genkernel issue, so displaying that only for
20 > > people who have genkernel installed would miss a bunch of users.
21 >
22 > I would guess that most users do not utilize kexec at all, and this
23 > news item is irrelevant for them.
24 >
25 > Personally, I agree that this is not worth spamming every Gentoo user.
28 Has anything even changed with kexec? Or is this an issue that has
29 been an issue for many years in kexec, that will suddenly become an
30 issue in genkernel? In that case it is news from a genkernel
31 perspective, and something anybody with a correctly-booting system
32 fixed a long time ago if they're using kexec.
35 Rich