From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] timezone configuration - why copying, not symlinking /etc/localtime ?
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 11:32:12
1 On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 6:54 PM Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > > > Council decided years ago that we don't support separate /usr without
4 > > > an initramfs, but we haven't completed that transition yet.
5 > >
6 > > Which doesn't imply that we deliberately break things.
7 >
8 > That's right. Though we should at some point start thinking about an end of support for separate usr without initramfs.
11 Just to clarify - it is already unsupported at a distro level. It is
12 just that some individual packages still work with it.
13
14 The current Council decisions on the issue are (just providing for
15 general reference):
16
17 - "Since that particular setup may already be subtly broken today
18 depending on the installed software, Council recommends using an
19 early boot mount mechanism, e.g. initramfs, to mount /usr if /usr
20 is on a separate partition."
21 Accepted unanimously. [1]
22
23 - "The intention is to eventually not require maintainers to support
24 a separate /usr without an early boot mechanism once the Council
25 agrees that the necessary docs/migration path is in place."
26 Accepted with 4 yes votes, 1 no vote, 2 abstentions. [1]
27
28 - "The Council agrees that all preparations for dropping support for
29 separate /usr without an initramfs or similar boot mechanism are
30 complete. A news item will be prepared, and users will be given one
31 month to switch after the news item has been sent."
32 Accepted with 5 yes votes, 1 no vote, 1 abstention. [2]
33
34 Current policy documentation:
35 Developers are not required to support using separate /usr filesystem
36 without an initramfs. [3]
37
38 1 - https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20130813-summary.txt
39 2 - https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20130924-summary.txt