From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] timezone configuration - why copying, not symlinking /etc/localtime ?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 21:43:43
1 On 3/23/2021 07:31, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 6:54 PM Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >>>> Council decided years ago that we don't support separate /usr without
5 >>>> an initramfs, but we haven't completed that transition yet.
6 >>>
7 >>> Which doesn't imply that we deliberately break things.
8 >>
9 >> That's right. Though we should at some point start thinking about an end of support for separate usr without initramfs.
12 > Just to clarify - it is already unsupported at a distro level. It is
13 > just that some individual packages still work with it.
14 >
15 > The current Council decisions on the issue are (just providing for
16 > general reference):
17 >
18 > - "Since that particular setup may already be subtly broken today
19 > depending on the installed software, Council recommends using an
20 > early boot mount mechanism, e.g. initramfs, to mount /usr if /usr
21 > is on a separate partition."
22 > Accepted unanimously. [1]
23 >
24 > - "The intention is to eventually not require maintainers to support
25 > a separate /usr without an early boot mechanism once the Council
26 > agrees that the necessary docs/migration path is in place."
27 > Accepted with 4 yes votes, 1 no vote, 2 abstentions. [1]
28 >
29 > - "The Council agrees that all preparations for dropping support for
30 > separate /usr without an initramfs or similar boot mechanism are
31 > complete. A news item will be prepared, and users will be given one
32 > month to switch after the news item has been sent."
33 > Accepted with 5 yes votes, 1 no vote, 1 abstention. [2]
34 >
35 > Current policy documentation:
36 > Developers are not required to support using separate /usr filesystem
37 > without an initramfs. [3]
38 >
39 > 1 - https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20130813-summary.txt
40 > 2 - https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20130924-summary.txt
41 > 3 - https://projects.gentoo.org/qa/policy-guide/filesystem.html#pg0202
42
43 Is there a list of software/ebuilds that currently do this "subtle" handling
44 of separate /usr w/o initramfs?
45
46 I've got just my MIPS systems left that use a separate /usr and do not boot
47 with initramfs because I build fully monolithic kernels and that makes the
48 resulting vmlinux images run up against hard size limits in the SGI PROM
49 (firmware, BIOS, etc) on these machines if I try to pack too large of an
50 initramfs in. I can check for any software that may be switched over soon
51 to a hard initramfs requirement and look at my options.
52
53 I kinda wish the Linux kernel had an ability to partially boot, init the
54 networking subsystem, then fetch an initramfs image over TFTP like it can do
55 with NFS Root. That would solve the problem on my MIPS system(s) (and make
56 install netboots better). I've dug around, but this does not seem to be a
57 capability currently in the kernel, unless I have over looked something.
58
59 Otherwise in the future, I may just have to setup an initramfs into an NFS
60 Root and teach the SGI's to somehow deal with it. Which all still seems
61 unnecessarily complicated because some other distro thinks it knows what's
62 best for everyone else (but I digress...).
65 Joshua Kinard
66 Gentoo/MIPS
67 kumba@g.o
68 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
69 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
70
71 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
72 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
73
74 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic