From: Markus Nigbur <pYrania@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-stats NG proposed design
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:25:14
1 On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:02:40 +0000
2 Meir Kriheli <mksoft@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > Hi,
8 >
9 > After giving some thought to the issue (and looking at the prev -stats
10 >
11 > implementation details), here's the proposed design for the new
12 > -stats.
13 >
14 > I'd love commoents, new ideas or what's else on your mind, so it can
15 > be taken into account upon implementation.
16 >
17 > 1. xml-rpc for communications
18 >
19 > Seperation of communication mechanism from data. This will prevent the
20 > need to track different protocols as the server/client evolve (we can
21 > add more fields to struct, unaware clients can ignore them). It's
22 > standarts based (XML over HTTP), and save the need for implementing
23 > the protocol itself (or tracking/handling/parsing GET/POST params for
24 > with the client for example).
25
26 Interesting. I never thought about doing the transaction with xml-rpc,
27 although i must admit it's a pretty good idea.
28
29 > 2. client side. Rewrite with python (now in perl)
30 >
31 > Will allow us to tap into portage API if/when needed.
32 >
33 > Python already installed on all gentoo systems, and includes all the
34 > needed modules (including xml-rpc). Current perl client depends on
35 > additional perl modules (e.g: MIME-Base64, URl, HTML-Tagset
36 > and more).
37
38 Good boy ;)
39
40 > 3. Server side
41 >
42 > Rewrite with PHP. PHP's PEAR has a good xml-rpc implementation.
43 >
44 > Redesign and normalize the db, use prefix for tables (will ease
45 > deployment in case of a need to share db fex). Accomodate additional
46 > features (searchable package files list?).
47 >
48 > Check possiblity of interaction with the new packages.gentoo.org
49 > system(fex: getting the current package list) ?
50 >
51 > Utilize smarty for web interface (seperate code from display).
54 As said in a previous mail, if you need some helping hands, i'd like to
55 help. I'm a total stats addict and willing to get this page up again
56 asap. ;)
57 I'm familiar with python for some month now and with PHP and smarty
58 since some years, so i could help out on any side.
61 -- Markus
64 Markus Nigbur
65 Gentoo Developer
66 http://www.gentoo.org