From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving our/portage stuff to var
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 13:42:14
1 On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 11:19:20 +0100
2 Tomáš Chvátal <tomas.chvatal@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > The only reason why we have this currently in usr is that bsd ports
5 > put their stuff in there and I suppose Daniel just did the same.
6
7 >> +1 on /var/cache.
8 >>
9 >>> Agreed.
10
11 >>>Bonus points if we consider suggesting to move it on a dedicated
12 >>>file system ^^;
13
14 /var sounds right but if /usr is still huge it may annoy some (like
15 apt can) with smaller drives who now need lots of free space for new
16 programs in both /usr and /var. Of course there is LVM.
17
18 On OpenBSD the Auto partition map suggests /usr/ports /usr/src as
19 seperate partitions as long as you have a fair amount of space. It
20 possibly even suggests a seperate obj partition. The benefit being you
21 can mkfs/newfs much quicker than deleting many many files. Security (DAC
22 permission avoidance) and nuking more than what you wanted obviously
23 needs consideration for that kind of function.
24
25 So it's probably a user exercise?