From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving our/portage stuff to var
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 13:49:49
1 On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > So it's probably a user exercise?
3
4 It already is a user exercise. A stage3 doesn't even contain the
5 /usr/portage directory - you manually create it per the handbook (or
6 more likely let tar/etc do it for you.
7
8 I also would like to see distfiles moved. Ideally the package tree
9 should be a perfect copy of what is on the rsync mirrors. It seems a
10 bit odd to stick other stuff in there, which needs special treatment
11 as a result.
12
13 To the extent that this isn't already supported, portage should simply
14 let you set the location in make.conf.
15
16 I'd also suggest at least considering how paludis handles this. They
17 just have a directory containing config file per repository, with a
18 priority setting. The portage tree is just another overlay, which is
19 a good way to handle it. The sync mechanism handles the main tree
20 identically to overlays as a result, though you can specify what to
21 sync.
22
23 Rich