From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Google SOC 2008
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 15:50:54
1 On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 15:53 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 03-03-2008 13:36:25 +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 28 February 2008 11:22:13 Roy Marples wrote:
4 > > > So the only thing left (aside from bug fixing) is to instruct OpenRC
5 > > > dependency
6 > > > code that it's in a prefix and to respect the noprefix keyword in services,
7 > > > or
8 > > > to provide dummy services.
9 > >
10 > > This is now done.
11 > >
12 > > I have OpenRC fully working in a prefixed non priviledged install on a NetBSD
13 > > box.
14 >
15 > Can you define how this is working? Do you just have NetBSD and install
16 > OpenRC in /my/arbitrary/path, or do you have a full set of utilities
17 > under /my/arbitrary/path with OpenRC as one of them?
18 >
19 > > The only question I have left is what mechanism resets service state, as the
20 > > prefixed state dir needs will presist between reboots which isn't desirable.
21 >
22 > startprefix could maybe start some sort of process that lives on,
23 > activated like keychain does, such that multiple startprefix invocations
24 > do not start the system all the time -- if that is desired at all. In
25 > a real scenario it may be just a hook from the host OS's start/stop
26 > mechanism to tell OpenRC in what state it should run.
27
28 Must admit not having looked at OpenRC yet - maybe I understood sth.
29 wrong, but:
30
31 +1 for registering OpenRC into host OS's specific init.d mechanism.
32
33 Here I'm doing so with distccd on ia64-hpux, having some (host OS
34 specific) script in (not yet gentoo-) prefix, understanding additional
35 '--install [name]' - or have a separate command for that.
36 This needs to be run as root once to register into host OS's init.d
37 mechanism.
38
39 For hpux fex this just is adding some symlinks:
40 /sbin/init.d/name -> /my/prefix/sbin/init.d/distccd
41 /sbin/rc3.d/S990name -> /sbin/init.d/name # to start in runlevel 3
42 /sbin/rc2.d/K100name -> /sbin/init.d/name # to kill for runlevel 2
43
44 When doing so with OpenRC's main process, it could integrate smoothly
45 with normal system reboot and start prefixed init.d scripts.
46
47 /haubi/
48 --
49 Michael Haubenwallner