From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Google SOC 2008
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:53:28
1 On 03-03-2008 13:36:25 +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > On Thursday 28 February 2008 11:22:13 Roy Marples wrote:
3 > > So the only thing left (aside from bug fixing) is to instruct OpenRC
4 > > dependency
5 > > code that it's in a prefix and to respect the noprefix keyword in services,
6 > > or
7 > > to provide dummy services.
8 >
9 > This is now done.
10 >
11 > I have OpenRC fully working in a prefixed non priviledged install on a NetBSD
12 > box.
13
14 Can you define how this is working? Do you just have NetBSD and install
15 OpenRC in /my/arbitrary/path, or do you have a full set of utilities
16 under /my/arbitrary/path with OpenRC as one of them?
17
18 > The only question I have left is what mechanism resets service state, as the
19 > prefixed state dir needs will presist between reboots which isn't desirable.
20
21 startprefix could maybe start some sort of process that lives on,
22 activated like keychain does, such that multiple startprefix invocations
23 do not start the system all the time -- if that is desired at all. In
24 a real scenario it may be just a hook from the host OS's start/stop
25 mechanism to tell OpenRC in what state it should run.
26
27 If a service such as PostgreSQL is killed (maybe a reboot?) does OpenRC
28 then know it is not running any more? I guess it does, so that's good
29 enough, IMO.
33 Fabian Groffen
34 Gentoo on a different level
35 --