From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Missing: Universal-CD - Gentoo discriminates shell and networkless users
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 01:10:36
1 Peter Weber <peterle@×××××××××××××.org> posted
2 1160688721.26585.13.camel@×××××.homenetwork, excerpted below, on Thu, 12
3 Oct 2006 23:32:01 +0200:
4
5 > You seem to think that the discussion is around you, and your work :-)
6 >
7 > It is about Gentoo, please keep this in mind. Nobody says YOU have to
8 > make the work, or that you are doing sth. wrong. You could do the job,
9 > but you don't must do anything/everything alone. You want that Gentoo
10 > "needs" a internet-connection, and their should be now way to install
11 > Gentoo without access to the web?
12
13 But it /is/ around him and his work. Check the release engineering
14 (releng) project page -- Chris G is project lead. Thus, if you are
15 discussing Gentoo releases, you are by definition discussing his work.
16
17 Sure, he doesn't do it alone, but he's the project lead, and as such takes
18 the responsibility for the decisions and the bugs. He's saying there were
19 too many bugs the old way and it's not coming back, he and the others are
20 volunteering, you aren't going to make him make them come back, as long as
21 that remains the case, because volunteers can't be forced to do
22 anything... they just quit volunteering if it comes to that.
23
24 Now you /can/ do several things to change that, if you don't like it.
25 One, it's free software. The tools are there. You can build your own
26 (more on that below). Two, if you are good at building such things (and
27 working with other volunteers), you can become a Gentoo developer and one
28 of those volunteers yourself, thereby ensuring the solution you want is
29 available to others by being part of it. Three, in the event you aren't
30 skilled enough to do the second or even the first, you still have the
31 option of sponsoring someone who /does/ have those skills. If you are
32 paying the bills, you call the shots. It's no longer a volunteer
33 situation (tho of course someone can choose to contract for you or not,
34 but if you have the money, you can almost always find someone to work for
35 it).
36
37 > On Question: Is their a howto, a script or a offical guidline how you or
38 > other gentoo-devs build the Universal-Disc's, what must be included an
39 > so on? I found for Gentoo-2005 an unoffical Universal-Disc for x86, but
40 > it presents itselft as Minimal-CD a things like that. So it seems not to
41 > be a good example for me.
42
43 /Now/ we're getting somewhere. Participation is a /good/ thing, and
44 certainly possible even if you don't choose the commitment of being a
45 developer. =8^)
46
47 This isn't my area, but you'd start by merging catalyst and looking at
48 its documentation, since that's what Gentoo releng uses to build its own
49 release stages and CDs. The releng project page has a bit more info
50 including a list of developers on the project, and links to the catalyst
51 subproject, with further links to the catalyst FAQ and reference manuals.
52 Checking the IRC page, there's a gentoo-releng channel tho I don't see a
53 catalyst specific channel listed. On the mailing list page there are
54 lists for both releng and catalyst listed. That's what I found in about
55 five minutes browsing the Gentoo site, but I knew already where to look as
56 I already knew the general layout of the site and that catalyst was the
57 tool and releng the top level project, from hanging out here for a couple
58 years.
63 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
66 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list