From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposed addition to the Social Contract
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 18:10:00
1 > I'd like to ask what are the negative side-effects of adding such
2 > paragraph. Are there any true negative side-effects to a specification
3 > like that?
4 >
5 > A different topic is the way the paragraph is written. If we don't
6 > like how it is written, we can change it and problem solved.
7 >
8 > To be honest, protecting ourselves from things that now seem
9 > improbable, isn't such a bad idea.
10
11 At best, we can only make some sort of effort to meet it. Enforcing
12 something like 'not relying on one vendor' requires basically either money
13 from us or good will from others. It's not like we can co-locate our
14 machines whereever we want or use any software that we wish or use as much
15 bandwidth as we wish.
16
17 The OSL and GNi and Indiana State University have been kind enough to host
18 many of our machines. I don't think anyone claims it's easy (except maybe
19 patrick) to find new hosting providers or new machines. We have new
20 machines coming; I have no idea where they are being hosted. I assume
21 Infra isn't dumb enough to put all our machines in one place, I trust them
22 to make intelligent choices about our Infrastructure, thats why they
23 exist.
24
25 -Alec
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list