From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is it time for bash-3?
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 00:03:39
1 On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:17:33 -0700
2 Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > > In that case adding >=bash-3 to "system" isn't sufficient. I'll
6 > > leave the detailed explanation to Brian, but the only thing you can
7 > > rely on in the ebuild environment is what the used portage version
8 > > has in it's dep strings when it was merged.
9 > > Not that it has much practical relevance given the age of bash-3
10 > > and things depending on it (don't think anybody is still on bash-2),
11 > > but adding it to "system" wouldn't help those people.
12 >
13 > The details are not important. The main point here is being able to
14 > use bash-3 features. What do we need to get us there?
15
16 a) don't do anything and assume that everyone is already on bash-3. Not
17 exactly nice but pragmatic.
18 b) add a check in base/profile.bashrc. Should work, doesn't require much
19 effort but is rather nasty
20 c) maybe some EAPI trickery could work too, needs some more thinking
21 d) implement repo-versioning checks in portage. I cooked up a prototype
22 patch for that a while ago (intended to get it into 2.1 originally),
23 but kinda lost motivation as people continued to poke (valid) holes
24 into it and apparently other people didn't agree with the principle
25 behind it. Thread for that is
26 http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o/msg01273.html
27
28 Marius
33 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
34 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
35 --
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list