From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFI: A better workflow for github pull requests
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 01:30:56
1 On 13 September 2015 at 09:15, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > Because that is not a valid bug report. Patches must be attached to
3 > bugzilla.
6 I would recommend against attaching the pull in patch form against
7 bugzilla. It might lead to unintentionally misleading consequences.
8
9 If the patch is automatedly filed against bugzilla, people will assume
10 viewing that patch tells them all they need to know.
11
12 But the reality is somebody may rebase/amend/repush to the publicised
13 branch location before any developer reviews the patch in bugzilla,
14 and so by the time somebody reviews the patch, it is already wrong.
15
16 And as it is common for there to be a "get feedback, amend the pull,
17 get feedback, amend the pull" loop in existing real-world git
18 workflows, it should be assumed that is going to happen frequently.
19
20 It would also be better for there to be some way to specify a
21 repository remote and a ref-spec, not having github-intrinsic
22 behaviours. ( Because people may have personally hosted git repos they
23 want feedback on if they have a github aversion, and we must not
24 *require* github to interact with the development workflow )
27 Kent
28
29 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL