From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: empty directories in ${D}
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 21:12:41
1 On 29/03/2018 19:00, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > W dniu czw, 29.03.2018 o godzinie 11∶34 -0500, użytkownik William Hubbs
3 > napisał:
4 >> If we are going to strip the empty directories, we should hard fail the
5 >> emerge at the same time. Otherwise there is no way to know whether the
6 >> package we successfully install will now run.
7 >
8 > The developer is supposed to *look* at what the package installs.
9 > If people just commit ebuilds based on 'Portage did not explode',
10 > then maybe they shouldn't have commit access in the first place.
11
12 You're IMO both making good points.
13
14 I have an impression proponents of each solution comment on parts of the
15 opposing argument, but I'm yet to see a more organized pros and cons list.
16
17 There's an element of design taste, and it may help to have some
18 reasonable guidelines, like "avoid breaking users' systems" - as opposed
19 to expecting volunteer developers never to make mistakes, or optimizing
20 for anyone but the user.
21
22 Paweł